Menu
Paulos355
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Internet keeps dropping- in particular since 70meg upgrade

Hi

Internet keeps dropping - 70meg to  100k upload is always around 5megs. Keep having to reset network adaptor or  reboot super hub regularly. The signal strength  also varies a great deal , set router to fixed channel to avoid other local connection interference. contacted virgin , and have been tweaked but to no avail.  Help,    I am so  frustrated especially  when online banking  and everything grinds to  a halt. Also spotted at one time the router  actually had 2 connections available , one strong one weak for my router name.?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet keeps dropping- in particular since 70meg upgrade

Hello Paulos355,

Thanks for getting in touch, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your connection, it sounds frustrating.

Looking at your Superhub, I'm not seeing anything standing out in error. From what you've said I understand that you've been testing your wireless connection, but I wonder if you're having the same problems with your hard-wired connections? If you don't have an Ethernet cable let me know and I'll send one out to you.

Please let us know about the cabled test so we can establish if this is a wireless issue or a general problem with your connection.

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Paulos355
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet keeps dropping- in particular since 70meg upgrade

Hi Thankyou for replyng Heather

Both  wireless and Lan connections Time out , Pinging google , 32bytes  around 18ms when  good and time to live 54

on pinging virginmedia.co.uk ,I get 15ms and TTL of 248 typically. This can  be steady for maybe 15 mins then drops out then reconnects.

Called virginmedia help line again on the 30th and they said they would test the line from the local exchange box, but had no feedback as such. When  working  all is good  can support my  2 laptops and desktop pc  no  problem for awhile, Typcally I am only using one laptop at a time so shouldn't be a bandwidth problem. I  do however notice that when I do Close an internet page , this appears to cause a fluctuation in the ping and time out can occur. Its most frustrating just waiting for Edge to open sometimes..  suspect its interfence ?   I selected router ch4 because that's clear- looking at nearby wifi connections. However  I did note that after virgin have test my connection the router is actually outputting on  2 channels - a single channel cannot be selected, assume this is part of the test setup . Its now back to single channel selection.

0 Kudos