Menu
GeorgeHassall
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Internet Stuttering

A couple of months ago my package was upgraded to a wifi hub 3.0 and the internet was smooth and fast.

But a week ago or so it starting getting worse and I noticed severe stuttering constantly when gaming (despite my ping only being slightly more than normal), also websites now take longer to load and Youtube videos especially are buffering a lot more.

I have restarted my wifi a few times but no luck.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Mickey_etc
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Stuttering

hi and welcome to virmin media

you could try by rebooting your router

Leave it off for 30 seconds then powering it up also rebooting your pc at the same time

if this don't work you could try altering your routers setting as there maybe other wifi routers using the same frequency and causing you an issue.

This I have never seen even when overloaded with other routers close on the same frequency. this is  all the tech BS you will get from virmin media

if all fails ring the call centre and they will give you BS and say they will send an engineer round to fix it

This is of course all from my 10 years plus experience with this company and I'm glad I am leaving

0 Kudos
karl121204
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, i am watching this as i have exactly the same problem which started almost a week ago. I have lots of buffering and also whilst trying to open a web page it just doesnt open and get a message saying server not responding. I have to refresh 4/5 times to get to it. 

Strange thing is im getting good results doing the speed tests, ive only had virgin 6 weeks and its playing up, plus with the price rise im having second thoughts.

Karl

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi GeorgeHassall,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband connection.

From checking your connection the Modem SNR (signal to noise ratio)  and Channel SNR is running low. As this can have an impact on your connection I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

In the meantime, do you get the same issue if you connect through a wired connection?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
GeorgeHassall
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thanks for the responses

I called Virgin and the guy over the phone sorted out the problem and now it's all fine.

However if you still think my internet isn't what it should shall I still book an engineer?

George

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hiya George,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

If the connection is working ok for you now, I would advise to monitor the connection over the next few days and if there are any issues, let me know and we can go from there.

Hope that's ok.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
rachrbeau
Just joined
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the same when I use WiFi at home on my mobile, Tablet and my PC. Had huge problems with signal where I work, literally cannot use my phone at work. Complained twice and even had new sim card but still rubbish. Now my WiFi causing me grief. So boring specially as I've just had my free broadband upgrade which is supposedly unbelievably fast but stutters constantly, specially watching movies or playing games. I've repeatedly rebooted wifi, restarted my phone, pc and tablet but guess what....nothing changes. Funny tho cos my wifi was sweet til I got my upgrade. Just want to get rid
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello rachrbeau

Welcome to our lovely forum, I am so sorry you are having problems with the connection, there does seem to be a couple of issues that may affect you.

* We have high peak time traffic in the area, we are already aware and would like to carry out some work to improve things, the reference is F004784994 and the review date currently showing 03 MAY 2017. 

*The hub transmit power level is a bit too high (   53.2 dBmV        52.9 dBmV ). Unable to say for definite that it will cause problems but best let one of our engineers take a look to be sure please. I will send you a forum private message to arrange an appointment.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos