Menu
LisaSaunders
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Internet Cutting Off

We seem to have a connection issue that is getting worse weekly. Whenever we make a Skype call our connection cuts off. We then have to restart the router and reconnect to start the session again. Are there connectivity problems?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet Cutting Off

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so knowing if a wired device drops out helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you experiencing disconnects all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)?

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screen shots if that is easier.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up to a week) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so knowing if a wired device drops out helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you experiencing disconnects all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)?

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screen shots if that is easier.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up to a week) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

LisaSaunders
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

It's when we wirelessly connect to the hub on a Sunday. But not just the pc, our 2 phones go off, so it's the whole connection rather than just the pc.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So to be clear, are you saying only wireless devices disconnect and only on a Sunday?  Or are you saying the PC is wired and even it disconnects and only on a Sunday?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi LisaSaunders, 

Thanks for posting to let me know that you're having issues with your internet cutting off, I apologise for any troubles incurred, I will do my very best to help resolve this for you.

I have run some tests on your Hub and the wider connection from here and I can see that you're Hubs logs have a lot of T3 time outs across the upstream channels, this explains the drops in connection.

I would like to arrange for one of our engineers to attend and investigate things further for you, I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos