Menu
cb1993
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Increasing speed on package without increasing contract length

Hi guys,

I've been having problems with the ping/latency with our broadband, I have jumped through all the hoops - Had an engineer come out to slightly increase how high the router is? (not sure why he did that but I wasn't in to challenge him). Finally we have had a new router sent out so awaiting that to come and hopefully fixing that issue.

What I am wanting to do now is increase the speed from 100Mb to 200Mb on our 9 month student broadband package. I find that when all 4 in the house are using the internet for streaming/gaming, the internet stutters. I have spoken to several people who all seem to think we have to increase our contract length in order to do that. As you can imagine we only need a 9 month contract as students meaning a 12 month contract is not suitable. I am more than happy to pay for a reasonable price increase as long as we don't need to extend our contract tenure. I work for a competitor that allows us to increase a package to better suit a customers needs, at the end of the day it nets the company higher MRC and customer satisfaction. 

Any answered appreciated, cheers!

0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Increasing speed on package without increasing contract length

Are you by any chance in the local bedsit land?
Here in Leeds there have been numerous complaints about not getting the speeds that occupiers have paid for!
[Currently using 200Mb gamer package, o'k a constant 21Mb upload but download can drop to 95Mb at times]
Serious thoughts needed before an upgrade, maybe a rethink on how your service is utilized.
0 Kudos
cb1993
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I generally get the speeds that we pay for, occasionally it is lower during peak times but never significantly. The ping has been a real problem and at times has made gaming impossible, upload speed is usually around 5Mb though which isn't great with 100Mb up. I just would like to give virgin more money and get their top speed whilst staying on the same student contract but it seems impossible.

Good luck with your speed issues though dude.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi cb1993, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy

Usually any change in your package results in a new minimum term agreement. Usually this is 12 months however as you're on a Student contract, it may reset the 9 month minimum term agreement instead. 

To check this out, give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they can double check this for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos