Menu
james1999855
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent internet

Hi, for months now I'm getting rather annoyed with the general quality of my internet connection. 

I'm getting a really inconsistent connection, which usually starts around 7.30 GMT, where my ping jitter usually increases. Yes, I'm using an ethernet cable, which gives me 100 download. My internet is fine throughout the day, roughly 6-8 PM where it gets unbearable.

https://gyazo.com/0a6e4bde31d936214a4f8b9a06ce0722

That shows the ping jitter. At the moment it is pretty bad for gaming, Despite this, there is no evidence of me getting any packet loss. At this point I really don't know what to do. Shall I just get a technician to come over, since I don't know whether if it is my internet or a problem in the area.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent internet

It looks like your area is oversubscribed with your local circuit is struggling to cope with the traffic during peak times, a bit like rush hour traffic.

VM will need to confirm this and will give you a fault reference number if it is a contention issue, The fault reference number will enable you to claim a discount off the bill.

I would be aware that these issues can take a long time to fix (about a year or more in the worse cases), so looking for an alternative ISP might well be on the cards

A VM Forum Team member should pick up the thread in about a week and can give you a definetive answer on whether your local circuit is congested.

0 Kudos
james1999855
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ok, will there be any viable solution for this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi james1999855, 

I'm really sorry to hear about the fault experienced.

I've had a look at the equipment levels and post-refresh everything looks spot on. The network segment also looks clear of any issues at present.

Could you try retesting your connection for me if possible?

Let me know if I can help with anything more,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos