Menu
DRLDEV
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

In what alternative universe is 3 Mbps acceptable for a 100 Mbps service and cost?

I am speechless and disgusted. I find it is not even fast enough to work with YouTube, let alone TV. I bet this group isn't monitored by anyone that will light a fire underneath those responsible for an APPALLING service. I see my £60 bill and want to throw the Tivo and router out the window. I have never ever EVER had such inferior service in the entire of my life on the internet, INCLUDING DIAL UP!!!

I am avoiding swearing, but boy, it's a pretty big challenge.

Is there any point in me saying this here, or am I shouting into an empty cave?

Helpful Answers
DRLDEV
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: In what alternative universe is 3 Mbps acceptable for a 100 Mbps service and cost?

Not sure if anyone is following this anymore, but here's the latest. If nothing else, it will help me to feel more calm if I can put this into the ether.

VirginMedia promised me, promised me, that the fixed date for the new service provision was February 1st 2017, it was a sure thing. It was for this reason I remained with them, thinking it might be self-defeating to leave just as things were about to get better. Did they?... No. I got an email on the improvement due date saying the upgrade was now due to be done in April 2017...

I shouldn't have been, but I was horrified. This had been a direct promise, one made specifically to me personally to keep me subscribed, and it was an out and out, unethical, bare faced LIE.

That is bad enough, but when I phoned Customer Care to say, guys, I've been with you two years, I've been amazingly patient considering you have not provided the service that you promised at-all within that time. The representative on the other end said, but your phone and TV has been ok. I said, if I sold you a car and the engine didn't work and then said to you, but everything else works ok, how would you feel about that?

I went on to explain that my primary use is the internet, the INTERNET, and of course the phone. I don't care about TV and have always said that. Why did you sign up for it then? I was then asked. Because I was promised that my internet speed would be doubled if I did, and that I could cope with if it was double my lowest speed at the time, and all for just 50p above what they would charge me anyway because the prices rose, and that's why I agreed to renew my service.

The bottom line, Customer Care (a new meaning of the word Care) wanted to charge me £250 to disconnect, despite having NEVER provided me with the full service that their contract obliged them to provide. I had in the meantime contacted Oftel to register a formal complaint and received advice about going through CICAS, but that takes 8 weeks and I couldn't stand 8 more weeks of no internet in the evening.

I said, since the phone works and I have no problem with that I would be prepared to keep that, but I didn't watch the mind numbing TV (except when there was nothing else to do because my internet was down), and I couldn't use the internet at the very time that it's most important to me. They said that if I paid £25 to disconnect the TV and internet service, and kept my phone for the next 6 months, then the contract will end and I can be free of the phone for nothing at that time. Keeping the phone actually suits because of time to tell people of my changing phone number, and well, this gives me time, but that they had the gall to charge me for disconnecting an unusable service was a very unpleasant slap in the face.

A second slap in the face was the letter telling me how they were sorry to see me go, how they wanted me to tell others how good they were, and that if ever I wanted to return then they will welcome me back. I actually felt angry and speechless as I read the letter, and probably at serious risk of a stroke.

So, let this be a warning to anyone who is able to read this before it is removed, VirginMedia quite simply have contempt for their customers. They don't acknowledge that they do, and the individuals that I talked to, the employees MOSTLY had a positive friendly attitude and were good people doing their best, with the exception of the person that I spoke to when trying to disconnect who was far from understanding how abused I had been, and one other, but the company as a corporate body has, I conclude, out and out contempt for their clients.

As a psychotherapist, I know better than to tangle with contempt. Contempt means that one is nothing in their eyes, and frankly, there is no way to counter contempt in any other way but to walk briskly as far away as possible, so this is what I am doing. As for coming back or recommending VirginMedia, I hardly think that is likely unless a lot of time passes and my memory fades. 

They have done what I thought was impossible, and that is to turn my copiously positive forgiving patient optimism into a deeply sceptical cynical distrust and abhorance. If there is anyone, anyone at-all, in customer care with any sort of vague conscience (not that I expect you'll ever get to see this as you clearly don't listen to your customers), I think you would do well to read through my case notes, and if they have been taken accurately and not had the details glossed over, you can hold your head in shame for the way your company conducts itself.

That's it now. I'm in the run down section where I'm just relieved at being free of the lies, the false promises, the pretense of caring. I can feel my blood pressure returning to normal (not a joke). What would make the difference is to wave that measly £25 and apologise for the awful outcome of my experience with VirginMedia. The sad thing is that I know many are happy customers, and that's all I wanted for myself, to be content to remain with them and just have the service that I needed. I wanted to sing their praises but they denied me the pleasure.

The end.

All Replies
daniel_tarr
Tuning in
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: In what alternative universe is 3 Mbps acceptable for a 100 Mbps service and cost?

I completely agree. Is a virgin media representative going to give any help here?!? People phone to be told the same message over and over again. When I first joined I was getting 80-120mbps all the time. Now it has shot up to nearly £60 and most evenings I am running next to nothing. Can't watch any video on demand or catch up. And even struggle to load some Web pages on phone. That's disgraceful for a £60.
Other threads have found apparently there is a high volume problem in areas that have this issue. .. again this is not good enough. Why try and uprate speeds to 200mbps when people aren't going to be able to get anywhere near this value. Surely it's better to make it more reliable and actually usable!!!
I really am planning on cancelling becaus it's got beyond a joke now. Everything has gone online now. Everyone raves about streaming videos and everything is done with an Internet connection. Without it its all pointless why are we being robbed for going back 10 years
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media universe....

These problems to which you refer have been around for a very long time... three years in my case. I would NOT expect a satisfactory resolution any time soon.

Surely it's better to make it more reliable and actually usable!!!  Of course it is... but this is the Virgin Media universe. A unique service that uses its own cables, does not rely on anyone else, and can pretty much do (and does) whatever it likes.

You can get your monthly loss of service credits for the dire evening speeds but I would raise an official complaint, then escalate it to CISAS.
"Why have you put up with it for three years" I hear you say..... to take my complaint all the way to CISAS.

My awarded compensation, for failure of VMs duty of care, failure to provide a reasonable level of network services and failure to resolve a reported fault within a reasonable timeframe, will allow me, at a time of my choosing, to have an alternative provider installed at no cost to me when a deal that I like comes along that gives me a service worth paying for.

Virgin Media will tell you that the contention / overutilisation / congestion of the routing system for the broadband service is because of the manner in which customers are using the service. The demand for bandwidth continues to increase. So people, it is apparently our fault!

The bottom line is that Virgin Media would rather chase the headline grabbing speeds that the lucky top ten percent of customers can reliably achieve rather than spend money and resources on getting the network in order. OFCOM still believes that 10Mbps is sufficient to meet the demands of today’s typical family and many small business. I'd be happy with my 50Mbps if only it was available in the evenings.

The government has recently announced that it is to pledge £400million on a new Digital Investment Fund to encourage emerging fibre providers to “scale up” and start offering users the fastest available internet connections. Unfortunately again it appears to be chasing fast speeds of more than 1Gbps.

Virgin will probably cry that they won't see any of that cash.... what a shame.

The bulk of the money will likely be spent on Openreach, good news for the likes of Sky and others that use the DSL fibre network. A viable alternative to Virgin Media.

Liberty Global... get your act together. Virgin Media's monopoly is coming to an end!

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
DRLDEV
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I think my sporadic 0.2Mbps in the evening is the record. I wonder if anyone has managed a slower connection?

This is actually slower than the first dialup modems isn't it? (300 baud)

I am astounded by this, technically, because it shouldn't be possible over a fiber connection that is end to end. I would have previously thought it only possible with a bad physical connection between fibers, but this is not the case. At 11 in the morning I get 105Mbps which proves the hardware is working.

This is a contention management issue.

I wonder if Sir Richard Banson is aware of how awful an experience it is with Virgin Media? I do not assume that he is a thoughtless callous man, so that means he is unaware doesn't it? Perhaps we should start to campaign more publicly to change everyone's awareness of these issues, including the company founder.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

You do realise your connection is NOT fibre end to end right?

VM use cooper coax for the last part of the network.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
DRLDEV
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I stand corrected, thanks.

The cabinet is very close, so it's as near as it can be to fiber end to end, but you are right to correct me, it is cable at the very end, not fiber.

0 Kudos
daniel_tarr
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Still.... I usually get more than 100Mbps most of the day. 120Mbps usually on computer. But of an evening when we actually want to do anything whether it be streaming on amazon prime. Netflix or catch up we simply can not do any of it so the broadband is useless!! I end up watching streaming on my phone as I get 40Mbps+ consistently on my 4G network. This makes a mockery of modern fibre optic broadband surely?!?!?. I understand what the guy is rambling on about how they can do what they want but that's not how businesses work.. I mean I can do what I want with my house but if I knock it down then it's a bit of a waste of time.
Surely it's best to get EVERYONE at 50Mbs consistently. Rather than 98% of people struggling to get 3-4 Mbps on an evening. Everything is moving towards streaming now so reliable broadband is the only way. Unfortunately virgin is the only option really where I live
stpuk
Dialled in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

ian-c wrote:

My awarded compensation, for failure of VMs duty of care, failure to provide a reasonable level of network services and failure to resolve a reported fault within a reasonable timeframe, will allow me, at a time of my choosing, to have an alternative provider installed at no cost to me when a deal that I like comes along that gives me a service worth paying for

Appreciate you might not be able to disclose this on a public forum (PM possible?) but I'm interested to know at what point it became an unreasonable time frame and, if I'm reading it correctly, was it CISAS that declared that Virgin Media must bear the cost of an alternative supplier being installed?

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

daniel_tarr wrote:
......I understand what the guy is rambling on about how they can do what they want but that's not how businesses work.. I mean I can do what I want with my house but if I knock it down then it's a bit of a waste of time.
Surely it's best to get EVERYONE at 50Mbs consistently. Rather than 98% of people struggling to get 3-4 Mbps on an evening. Everything is moving towards streaming now so reliable broadband is the only way. Unfortunately virgin is the only option really where I live

Sorry if I came across as 'rambling'. No, its not how businesses normally work.

You are preaching to the converted. Any sane person, or business would agree with you that it is best to get the network to deliver the lowest tier speed consistently. The problem is that Virgin is hell bent on winning the speed race whereas BT is slowly rolling out faster broadband which it expects will cover 95% of the country by the end of 2017 and keeps the speeds consistent with the 'minimum guaranteed speed'. One of Aesop's Fables springs to mind.

But this is Virgin Media we're discussing here. Speeds on my network segment well below 4Mbps every evening for almost three years, countless review dates and we're still no further forward. THAT is what I refer to when I say they can pretty much do what they want... which, unfortunately, seems to be pretty much nothing other than meaningless review dates that come and go.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

DRLDEV wrote:

I stand corrected, thanks.

The cabinet is very close, so it's as near as it can be to fiber end to end, but you are right to correct me, it is cable at the very end, not fiber.

Again not true.  The fibre doesn't run to the nearest cabinet.  It runs to an optical node that can serve anywhere from 500 to 2000 homes.  The optical node feeds several cabinets via coaxial cable, with line amplifiers in the cabinets to keep the signal from degrading.

One thing you haven't done is posted any meaningful diagnostics.

Can you post your downstream and upstream stats?

How are you connecting wired or wireless?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.