Menu
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

IPTV freezing and stuttering, broadband def the cause

I am trying to use IPTV and it just stutters and freezes all the time, does same on TV and tablet

If I disconnect from broadband and tether through my phone all is well so it's def the broadband or router

I have 200Mb service and speedtests all seem ok

I have tried it wired and wifi and it's the same

Hope someone can help resolve this as I need this to work and would hate to have to change supplier after 20+years

Thanks

0 Kudos
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: IPTV freezing and stuttering, broadband def the cause

seems to be a def broadband issue, tried to download a file from the iptv server under their instruction and was getting 300k transfer, did it from a different broadband and speed was massive

lots of packet loss

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
  2     9 ms    11 ms    10 ms  10.126.144.1
  3    11 ms    14 ms     8 ms  nott-core-2a-ae7-1247.network.virginmedia.net [62.255.231.37]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    23 ms    22 ms    21 ms  nrth-ic-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.218]
  7    22 ms    27 ms    26 ms  m674-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.162]
  8    22 ms    26 ms    26 ms  ix-ae-7-0.tcore2.LDN-London.as6453.net [80.231.62.5]
  9    30 ms    32 ms    32 ms  if-ae-26-2.tcore1.LDN-London.as6453.net [80.231.62.58]
 10    32 ms    28 ms    34 ms  if-ae-17-2.tcore1.L78-London.as6453.net [80.231.130.129]

0 Kudos
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Go the host folks to load a testfile on server

I download at 300-500k and a friend who is local gets 6MB+ on his BT connection

Really need to get this sorted but don't know how to go about it, tried the 150 helpline but they seemed out of their depth

Don't want to change provider after all these years but if I can't get it resolved I won't have a choice Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Enginner been out, cganged modem and lowered signal, far too hight apparantly

No better

Its ok at obscure times but evenings and weekends it goes down to a crawl, have tried parallel connections on BT and tethered through a mobile and they are fine so has to be the VM network, no idea how to progress this but I need to get it sorted asap

0 Kudos
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

does anyone have any idea how I can progress this?

been on to chat several times and the last they did was say it would be escalated and they would get back to me by the 26th, they haven't

just making a last appeal before I call them to cancel and move to BT

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

do you get better speeds when testing on www.speedtest.net
I can;t see any packet loss from the traceroute you posted.

also it can take about a week to get a vm reply but as you keep posting you are delaying this?

If you get good speeds at other places it might be slow peering with the IPTV servers
0 Kudos
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Didn't know how it worked on the forum so will wait a while longer

speedtest if fine even when having issues with this site

re the trace didn't know if the timeouts meant anything

when I have issues with the IPTV service I have tried exactly same thing at same time froother connections ( BT, Voda 4G, pub wifi) and all is fine with speeds20x what I get on VM

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey there rotty66,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your IPTV, it sounds frustrating.

I've checked your connection and I don't see any issues with your specific connection or the local area.

Is your TV connected wireless or hard-wired? We might need to look into allowing access to certain ports, I know we have to do this sometimes to use IP phones. Are you able to find out what ports you'd need access too?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
rotty66
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi

thanks for the reply and sorry for the slow reply, I have been away for 3 weeks

The equipment is hard wired, it is just a http server so I assume all on port 80 and the fact it is fine outside of peak hours would suggest it's not a port issue

at times when I have the issue (evenings and weekends) the connection speed to this site drops by over 95% , I have tried same equipment at same times using BT/ 4G and public wifi connections and all is fine , only on VM is it an issue, I suspect something along the route between me and the site is the issue

In late December the online chat people said they had escalated to 2nd line I have just been back onto them and it seems this was not done from what they could see

I will give it a couple more weeks but it looks like I will have to change provider to resolve which would be a shame as I have used VM (and predecessors) for well over 20 years 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rotty66,

Thanks for responding. I've checked your connection again and still can't see anything to cause this. As it's only happening with that particular site at those times it could be routing issue. The trace you've posted back in december looks perfectly fine. Could you run another for us at the time you're seeing these speeds and posting it here for us to take a look? It may also be worth running one when you're not seeing the slow speeds for comparison.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos