Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7 (1,419 Views)

I'm planning to leave before the 31st October deadline - where to go?

TV 250ish channels (many are just HD version, or +1, and most are channels I don't watch).  No sport, no movies needed.  Not interested in the film channels (most of the time), not interested in news channels, or music channels, but I do like W, SciFi, SkyOne (occasionally), CBS Reality (not me, but others), Universal.

200Mbit broadband, regular phone (do you remember when line rental used to be under £10?  I do).

Don't make any phone calls on the landline, but they all seem to be hiking the price of POTS when most of us now use our mobiles.  I am happy to not have a phone line at all - I can transfer the number to VoIP to keep incoming calls.

I'm thinking Sky (yuk! revolting association with News Corp) for TV and BT for broadband and phone.  I'll get 76Mbit if anyone can - the box is on the other side of the road from my house.  You are forced, illegally and unethically to take the phone line if you want broadband via BT (or any of the other providers who hop through their local copper cables).  These are the absolutely obvious choices.  I don't need more than 50Mbit - as long as it isn't all over the place or on the floor at peak times - I don't want the added hassle.  I see lots of people complaining about speed here now, am I going to find the same with BT's community web site?   If you have experience of BT's FTTC service I'd love to hear it.

It's not, for me, about the price, it's about three price rises in a year, and promises which were made and unfulfilled - as they constantly are with Virgin - and yet they never learn from their mistakes.  It's time to ditch Virgin on ethical grounds are they are like Vampires on your wallet.  I am not going to haggle with them, I am going to dump them.  I have two weeks to notify them.  Now the quest for a new service ramps up.

I see Sky as the only real option - as they have a good range of channels.  Freeview and BT's option don't seem to provide the range of channels I think I watch / need.  Do you get penalised by Sky if you just take Sky TV but no broadband/line rental?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7 (2,813 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by JonSwift
‎15-10-2016 12:26

Re: I'm planning to leave before the 31st October deadline - where to go?

Sky TV costs the same with or without Sky Broadband/phone.

If you're looking at Sky for TV, taking Sky broadband/phone too will probably work out cheaper than BT (unless you want BT Sport), but you are free to use BT if you prefer.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7 (2,814 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by JonSwift
‎15-10-2016 12:26

Sky TV costs the same with or without Sky Broadband/phone.

If you're looking at Sky for TV, taking Sky broadband/phone too will probably work out cheaper than BT (unless you want BT Sport), but you are free to use BT if you prefer.
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7 (1,396 Views)

I don't watch any sports tv - definitely not averse to taking the whole lot from Sky, although I mentioned BT because I thought Sky was limited to about 40Mb broadband, whilst BT would provide up to 76Mb.  Given that the box is so close to the house I'm guessing I will get near 70Mb speed with BT's fastest package.  For me I don't see BT's TV package as a like-for-like or suitable replacement.  Thanks for the advice.  I have done the comparison and it certainly would be best to go with Sky - so that's around £48pm as opposed to the £76 I'm paying today.  Who actually needs 200Mbit?  Sure is nice to download a 4-5GB ISO in about 5-6minutes, so hardly essential.  When I moved in, in 2006, on ADSL I was glad to get a good 8Mb connection.

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 4 of 7 (1,312 Views)

[ Edited ]

you can downgrade sky only gives you 12 months warrary on there box and you get unlimited call outs on faulity stuff with virgin media i say sky does provide 76mb now but the its your chose with bt i can tell you it will be costly after 12 months with 76mb and phone it is costing me £52 but i tell you this if you download alot of stuff then they do the same with vm thotting there connections put that aside i did have touble with bt in the pass with slow internet and took near 10 months for them to sort it all out which i am not a fan of waiting around for bt to sort out there house out they do the same with price but there lines is more costly by this i am not touching bt again i went for gamer with virgin media becuse i play online i think bt call out is £150 more then virgin media £99 but with faulty things with virgin media it is free call out bt £150 if the fault lands on your land which is stupied 

Using VIVID 200 Gamer Optical Fibre, Full House TV, Talk More Anytime

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7 (1,229 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had BT 76mb until recently.

The cabinet is at the top of my street, service was stable and I never really had any issues with it.

Moved everything except my main broadband to Sky.

Sky is used for TV and phone (I get 12 months free phone if i take their crappy adsl broadband"

Virgin is where I still have my main connection with.

The good thing for me is, If ever I get hit with over utilisation again I'll just upgrade the Sky ADSL to their 76mb and give VM the boot)

Left VM 9th Jan 2017 due to high utilisation. Enjoying reliable services with Sky Smiley Happy
Joining in
Message 6 of 7 (570 Views)

Hi Mr Jon I am another in the same boat. I have submitted notice but even then they still hold you for another month! My broadband has jumped from £16 to £42 in 12months.....'enough is enough' There must be better value out there
Joining in
Message 7 of 7 (198 Views)

Re: I'm planning to leave - where to go?

hi 

from members experience where is best place to move to.....the hike in my price by virgin is too much

i currently have 100 with virgin although it reaches on 75 when testing

0 Kudos