Menu
showwild
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have the 50Mb service, speed test shows download 1.5Mb and upload 2.5Mb

Hi all,

I'm having a bad time with my internet speed , this as been going on for a couple of month now.

I'm a long standing Virgin Media Customer, ( my email is still the old blueyonder one)

Over the last few months my speed as been slowing down noticeably, ( 50Mb service).

I have the 50Mb service, speed test shows download 1.5Mb and upload 2.5Mb.

Over the last couple of days I have spent over 5hours on the phone speaking to VirginMedia customer services and Techincal department. I have run all the tests, (including the speed net at www.speedtest.net that Virginmedia told me to use). I have unplugged every cable from power to Ethernet and co-axal in and out of the router so many times now, pressed the reset button too, all under the instructions of the technical people.

The technical people tell me I have 4 eathernet cables pluged into the router, when only one was, (I only have 3 wired devices in my house, Sky TV Box, Samsung TV, and DeskTop PC), and they tell me there is nothing wrong with my router, they also report that several devices where connected by wifi, (when it could only have been my mobile phone).

Finally the technical guy, said there was a fault in my area, when I said that nothing was reported as a fault on VirginMedia website, he said it wasn't a fault that's reported, because its not really afault but not enough capacity for the number of people in the area, dated he gave for this to be looked at was the 28th November, (2 1/2 months, or 75 days, just to belooked at, how long to fix it after that is anyones guess).

I can't work with this speed or service, I work hard for my money, ( no pay rise for the last 3 years), and VirginMedia want to put the price UP by £3.49. I can't even get my emails at this speed, nevermind watch anything on NetFlicks, (which I'm paying for too).

The Technical guy I spoke to last as raised a complaint for me about all this slow speed, I think I will take this to the ombudsman or internet regulator, as this is a pure rip off, if they hace over sold capacity. In fact I might get a better speed with an old fashioned dial up connection.

Now I know I have had a big rant about this, but I have been a long term customer of Virgin Media and its previous owners, and had a reasonable speed and reaiablity for most of that time, so whats going wrong now.

If this speed is as fast as Mr Bolt, ( some superfast sprinter, people call him), then I would beat him easy, in fact the oldest person in the world using a zimmerframe and with their legs tired together would beat him easy.

How embarrassing is all this for VirginMedia, (and Mr Bolt). This will drive customers away, and when word gets out on all the social media sites put people off from even trying the service in the future. So come on anyone from Virgin sort this out.

Just a last point, if my speed is 25 times slower than the 50Mb service I pay for, then my Bill should come down from £33 to £1.32 per month.

Now that new Vodaphone fibre76 service at £28 per month and that includes the line rental, with promised minimum download speed of 33Mb and max download speed of 47.5Mb seems worth looking into. If I can't get anything sorted soon, I will be looking at it.

0 Kudos
showwild
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have the 50Mb service, speed test shows download 1.5Mb and upload 2.5Mb

Update

Hi again to everyone.

After yesterdays performance with the technical guys at VirginMedia, ( who did seem to be tyrying to sort things out).

It was left that the tech guy had done something at VirginMedia's end, and also rasied the issues as a complaint, saying that the complaints team whould contact me within 24 hours. Now can anyone guess weather they have?

OK, so no one as been in touch, I left instructions that I can only be contacted by my mobile phone, ( they already had this number on file).

So I guess, the only thing left todo, is write all the things that have happened so far down on paper, and raise a complaint with the internet ombudsmans.

Maybe this will get me some results, after all how much can you do with just 1.5Mb download speed these days, I can't even watch NetFlic's, I can only just get to download emails. I dare not try login into my Bank, or try doing any shopping.

Latest Speed Test Shows Download 1.57Mbs and Upload of 2.04Mbs

Anyone have any other ideas I can try?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi showwild, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

I have taken a look at your connection and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004758778 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date on this is 07/12/2016. That being said I can also see that there is an open change ticket, ref C00756152 which means there is work taking place in your area today to try to remedy the issue. 

I have popped the details across to the team that deal with this and they will contact you as soon as they can.

Let me know if you notice any changes to your service over the next few days. Do not include today's service in this as it will be a little patchy due to the engineering work. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
showwild
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,
Thank you for taking a look at my speed issue.
I have constantly been checking the speed every evening, with no noticeable difference.
The review date you quoted, seems to be constantly getting longer. I was originally told a review date of early November, then mid November, 28th November, 30th November, now your saying 12th December. This all sounds like a constant excuse, to not do anything, and keep within the regulators code. But its cheating the code if that is so.
The word I have had from your technical people is that virginmedia have taken on more customers in this area than they can supply the service to at anywhere near full speed.
I sorry but I can't wait until December for this issue to be resolved, I can't even do online banking due to the web pages taking that long to load, the bank site kicks me off.
If virginmedia was to charge for just the speed I get at peek times, I would only be paying about £3. That would make virginmedia hurry up and address this problem, so that they can get full money.
And just to add insult to injury, the price is going up by £3.49
Anyway I will continue to monitor the speed.
But I am looking for other suppliers, even though I have been with virginmedia since the early days of blueyonder.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi showwild, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see that the date has been extended since you were originally advised of the fault. 

The dates we give are review dates not fix dates so there may be instances where a fault has been more complicated than first thought, in this instance the date of the review may be extended. 

I do understand the frustration especially if you have been trouble even getting on to the online banking. 

The team that deals with this type of fault will be in touch as soon as they can be. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
showwild
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: UPDATE for :- I have the 50Mb service, speed test shows download 1.5Mb and upload 2.5Mb

Hi all,

Here is an update on my speed problem/issue.

I had a call last week from a guy to deal with my complaint regarding my speed problems.

Well after doing the normal checks and resetting the router, unplugging, re-pluging, etc

The guy that called me seems to have adjusted everything at virgin media end of the connection, my speed as gone upto 50Mbs download.

I did point out that, I do trend to get an increase in speed, after other operated had changed the settings, but then either later that day or the next the speed increase as gone back to just 1.5Mb to 3Mb speed.

Well this time it as stayed at 50Mbs for a week now.

I did say that I was going to take all these speed problems to the ombudsman, I hope that this isn't the only reason that my speeds have remained stable. Now if only every other virgin media technical guy could have sorted things out like this, I would have been a happy little bunny from the start.

So it's welcome back to my internet banking, and shopping.

My thanks goes out to the guy who finally sorted things out. Cheers mate.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: UPDATE for :- I have the 50Mb service, speed test shows download 1.5Mb and upload 2.5Mb

Hi there showwild,

Thanks for getting back in touch and providing an update Smiley Very Happy

It's great to hear that one of our technical advisors has been able to resolve your speed issues.

I can't thank you enough for your patience, if you need anything else, please just ask.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos