Menu
DanH777
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Huge speed decrease since 12/12/2016

I am on Vivid 300 broadband and use the 3.0 hub. Before the 12/12/2016 I was averaging 215mb a sec. Since the 12/12/2016 this has dropped to an average of 44mbs! After speaking to the Virgin Media Broadband second line support team in Swansea they could not tell me why this had happened and have resorted to arranging for an engineer to visit me on the 04/01/2017 which is two weeks away!

I should not be getting throttled and I should not be subject to traffic management so I have no idea why this huge decrease in speed has happened. If it is not resolved soon I will have no choice but to seek legal advice as this is not what I am paying for.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? 

Dan

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge speed decrease since 12/12/2016

Christmas slowdown. Happens every year in locations that are near capacity as all the kids finish school and workers get home for the holidays.

Likely by the time the engineer comes round it will be back to normal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
DanH777
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can't be the case. I've been with Virgin for four years and this hasn't happened once. Also, like I said I should not suffer from slowdown.

Their tech team should have informed me of this also if this was a possibility. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your speeds can slow down. Not being subject to traffic management doesn't mean you can't experience utilization.

More and more people sign up each year, they also use more bandwidth. The same hardware with its finite bandwidth supplies this so each year its on more strain.

Until its logged and raised as an issue it wont show as one.

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

They are pulling your chain mate.. My peak time slow down starts at 4pm weekdays an 10am weekends (down to 1-5Mpbs) they used the excuse about kids coming home from school causing high utilisation.  But guess what there off school now and peak time slow down still starts at 4pm!! lol ( this includes all the other school holidays) but graphs suggest no off peak slow down during school holidays..

they will be telling me next kids are still waiting till 4pm to use the internet due to parents telling them to do extra studies in the holidays. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

peak time 'should' be earlier and more like the weekend peak time during the holidays. Its not an excuse more people are home, its fact.

Be great when people start downloading all their christmas games/updates Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I agree with you on that it 'should' be earlier on holidays etc but thats not my findings ( in my over utilised section anyway) which points to my hunch of traffic being managed during these times to cope with over utilistation.

0 Kudos
DanH777
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya I disagree. Not to this extent and not this consistently. 215 to 44. Think about that. An instant change that happened over night where I have lost over 75% of my speed. Never, not once have I been told by the tech team or the engineers who visit me that this could ever happen. In fact the last engineer who visited told me that the lines in my area were capable of so much more. 

I appreciate your replies but I disagree entirely with you and I have sufficient evidence to back it up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, i'm just hypothesizing a potential Smiley Tongue

Have you gone through checking the power levels, and also driver settings etc?

0 Kudos
DanH777
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I would assume that the three techs I spoke to on the phone would have carried out all of the available tests?

If there is something else I can do on my end please let me know/walk me through it and I will.

0 Kudos