Highlighted
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Upgrade disaster: Reduced service

Hello,

Has anybody had this problem?

Was requested to Install a new Hub 3, as old hub 1 was faulty (WiFi losing connection). With the Hub 1 however, I was getting consistently 108Mb bandwidth. Now I have installed a new Hub 3, I am getting bursty bandwidth between 35-55Mb bandwidth.

Question: has anybody else experienced this problem from Liberty Global (aka Virgin). The worst is, I am now paying more for an upgrade from 70 to 100Mb, but getting half this speed now. Is anyone aware if the service is now being throttled? Do BT or Sky offer a better service?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tomo72
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 Upgrade disaster: Reduced service

Are you testing wired or wireless? It's best to test with a gigabit enabled laptop or PC NIC directly to the Hub. Also separating the 2.4G and 5G networks helps with wireless.

0 Kudos
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tomo72,

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

WiFi is fine now, just the ethernet is problematic. It is the reverse of the original problem - WiFi disconnecting!

I don't believe it is the Hub 3 or contention, but more probably down to a CMTS throttling/fault issue? I have 6 devices that can test bandwidth and they all show the same issue?

Thanks

Patrick

0 Kudos
Andruser
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"Do BT or Sky offer a better service?"

If you can get BT Infinity or Infinity 2 (or an equivalent from another ISP) then you'll probably do better than your reported 35-55 Mbps.  Be aware that if you've taken a speed increase offer and wish to terminate, Verminmedia may try and claim you are contractually locked in by virtue of taking a new deal - in which case tell them that you're not, under the Broadband Code they're signed up to, and if they disagree you want a "deadlock letter" and details of their arbitration scheme (that costs them £300-400, you don't have to pay anything).

Just be clear on what service you can get from other providers before you terminate your VM contract.  

0 Kudos
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Andruser,

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Terminating the contract is an option and your advice is very helpful. I would like to give Virgin a chance to remedy the situation before the next step?

Many thanks

Patrick

0 Kudos
Andruser
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whether you want to go straight out, or give VM a chance to remedy the situation, your next contact is the same - call 150, and navigate through to the account option "I'm thinking of leaving".  That'll put you though to the UK based retentions team.  Usual drill: be clear, firm but polite (I think they get a hard time). 

There's a few things I've seen round here that suggest the retentions team have of late been told by Verminmedia management to "give less away", but they'll certainly do the best they are allowed to keep you, including referring speed or service complaints to the right teams for resolution.  See what they can come up with, and if anything changes. 

If the company can't or won't fix it (or can only offer unsubstantiated promises of fixes in the future) then phone the same team back and tell them that as they can't provide the service they're charging you for, you're leaving.  Be aware that if there's over-subscription issues, you may be offered a temporary discount until an expected network upgrade date.  Sometimes those upgrades happen, sometimes they keep being pushed back, so have a clear idea of what sort of resolution you will accept.

0 Kudos
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Andruser,

Thank you for your brilliant reply and greatly appreciated. I am going through some tests with Virgin support at this minute and trust my issue will be resolved shortly. The indicators are that it will be!

Thanks again for your info and support, and I am sure other subscribers on this forum will appreciate and benefit from your thoughts...I know I have!....and bagged them for further use.

Kind regards

Patrick

0 Kudos

All Replies
Tomo72
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you testing wired or wireless? It's best to test with a gigabit enabled laptop or PC NIC directly to the Hub. Also separating the 2.4G and 5G networks helps with wireless.

0 Kudos
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tomo72,

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

WiFi is fine now, just the ethernet is problematic. It is the reverse of the original problem - WiFi disconnecting!

I don't believe it is the Hub 3 or contention, but more probably down to a CMTS throttling/fault issue? I have 6 devices that can test bandwidth and they all show the same issue?

Thanks

Patrick

0 Kudos
Andruser
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"Do BT or Sky offer a better service?"

If you can get BT Infinity or Infinity 2 (or an equivalent from another ISP) then you'll probably do better than your reported 35-55 Mbps.  Be aware that if you've taken a speed increase offer and wish to terminate, Verminmedia may try and claim you are contractually locked in by virtue of taking a new deal - in which case tell them that you're not, under the Broadband Code they're signed up to, and if they disagree you want a "deadlock letter" and details of their arbitration scheme (that costs them £300-400, you don't have to pay anything).

Just be clear on what service you can get from other providers before you terminate your VM contract.  

0 Kudos
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Andruser,

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Terminating the contract is an option and your advice is very helpful. I would like to give Virgin a chance to remedy the situation before the next step?

Many thanks

Patrick

0 Kudos
Andruser
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whether you want to go straight out, or give VM a chance to remedy the situation, your next contact is the same - call 150, and navigate through to the account option "I'm thinking of leaving".  That'll put you though to the UK based retentions team.  Usual drill: be clear, firm but polite (I think they get a hard time). 

There's a few things I've seen round here that suggest the retentions team have of late been told by Verminmedia management to "give less away", but they'll certainly do the best they are allowed to keep you, including referring speed or service complaints to the right teams for resolution.  See what they can come up with, and if anything changes. 

If the company can't or won't fix it (or can only offer unsubstantiated promises of fixes in the future) then phone the same team back and tell them that as they can't provide the service they're charging you for, you're leaving.  Be aware that if there's over-subscription issues, you may be offered a temporary discount until an expected network upgrade date.  Sometimes those upgrades happen, sometimes they keep being pushed back, so have a clear idea of what sort of resolution you will accept.

0 Kudos
pdhurd2015
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Andruser,

Thank you for your brilliant reply and greatly appreciated. I am going through some tests with Virgin support at this minute and trust my issue will be resolved shortly. The indicators are that it will be!

Thanks again for your info and support, and I am sure other subscribers on this forum will appreciate and benefit from your thoughts...I know I have!....and bagged them for further use.

Kind regards

Patrick

0 Kudos