Menu
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How to increase broadband speed

Finally installed the Hub3.0 and it's working, but at the same 22Mbps speed as the old modem.  How do I get the 70Mbps I expected. 

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to increase broadband speed

Are you testing wireless or wired?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wired

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello CicAndrews,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're not getting the speeds you're expecting. I've checked your account and by the looks of it, you're still on the 20MB subscription. Please call our Customer Services team on 150 free from a VM landline or 0345 454 1111 and they'll be able to resolve this.

Let us know how you get on,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answer.

Do I need to pay more for a higher speed than 22Mbps

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there CicAndrews,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've taken a look at your account and there was a free speed upgrade available for you. This has been passed to the relevant team to complete this for you and you should now see higher speeds.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, by all means let me know.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for arranging this - I just got an automatic hub reboot - and now my speed is up to 85 Mbps - fantastic. 

Now all I need to sort out is port forwarding (separate post on the forum), and I will be a satisfied customer. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi CicAndrews,

I'm glad you are happy with the speed upgrade, that's great Smiley Happy.

With the port forwarding, not sure if this makes a difference, but does it help if you add the ports in sequential order, lowest to highest?

It may be that as you added higher ports on another IP address, that is given you an error. Try adding the lowest ports first to see if that helps.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can't test this yet as I don't want to change what I've already set up and which is working correctly. 

But I did a test with another device - i.e. adding port 21 - and I had no problem adding port 21 even though I've already got some higher numbered ports forwarded on that device. 

When I try to port forward port 21 on the correct device - which is on 192.168.0.10 - get this error message "The local ports between 21 and 21 on IP 192.168.0.10 have been added as virtual server already, please try another one"

I might try your method later when I can safely delete the ports already forwarded - it is very frustrating as a user trying to set up something which should be straightforward.  I used a different internet supplier in another location and I had to set up a similar port forwarding rules.  It took me ten minutes and everything worked first time.  It is very frustrating that VM has these problems, especially as VM is double the price of the internet  in the other location. I have been spending hours on this single problem in the past few days after installing the VM Hub 3.0. 

0 Kudos