Menu
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How can this be ?

Hi,

I just had a slight interruption of broadband service and as soon as it came back (a few seconds at most) I did a speed test and on the single layer download or whatever its called I saw speeds up 1,000 meg !

How is this at all possible please Anyone

top speed.JPG

0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can this be ?

and Again, this time bursting to 423 meg, along with more disconnects

top speed-1.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Theres some odd tests going on in the field with some CMTS's, Might be a fluke, might be related to that.

TBB isnt really designed to do cable speeds, especially the burst speeds. It kind of takes a small file, looks at the time taken and extrapolates, so theres A LOT of room for error.

Having said that a few have reported 300Mbps on an ongoing basis recently, (without being homeworks subscribed) and Ive seen a few speed-tests hitting 400.

Theres also the Docsis3.1 wildcard.  If VM was testing that you MAY see real world speeds in the 1Gbps range.

But that's all conjecture. Ill stick to TBB extrapolating badly in the meantime- more to the point is your connection performing well in general or are you still having dropouts?

If so can you post a BQM for us to take a gander at.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

From the Think Broadband page.

"If your burst speed figures are very high, particularly at the start of the test this is usually an indication that your anti-virus software may be delaying traffic initially, and then clearing its buffers once it decides that the speed test is safe."

I think Kippies room for error can play a part as well.

I don't think it would be DOCSIS 3.1 as none of VM's hubs are 3.1 compliant.

0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

anti virus is Avira 

I have screenshots of these spikes occurring at the start, middle and end of the tests (happened 4 times so far), so unlikely to be my AV causing that surely?

i had about 7 or 9 dropouts yesterday evening, none lasting for more than a few seconds and these tests were done after a dropout when I remembered to do one (about half the time)

Power levels are in the range of 42 - 45 dBmV, interestingly quite a few of these dropouts aren't being logged in the 'network status log' either, but you can see them on the BQM

And is it's worth pointing out surely that these bursts of speed only began after the dropouts started

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

these bursts are occurring just After each linedrop, just had another and this was done a min after the connection resumed

their recorded speed doesn't match their graph though, as the graph shows a spike of 411 meg

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502462593217277055

0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i am now getting these every afternoon / evening now, and they Always happen just after a short line drop, of which I am still getting around 8 or so a day, Every day. The upstream power also still reaches just over 50 when this occurs as well.

So, I am on a new router, a new connection and this is still occurring, ???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the delay in reply, I been a bit busy IRL. Lonng story...and Ill spare you the gory details

Remind me where we are with this, do you have BQM available for the last few days its been doing the drop , wait, speed up thing?

If so can you post it, if not, set one up

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

LOL I know thats a fairly generic response, Im having a bit of a mare ATM , Ill get back up to speed tomorrow but wanted to reply in the meantime.

0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My Broadband Ping - VM-2
0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that things haven't been ok for you Kippies and i hope that things begin to ease/improve for you soon mate, know all to well what that's like myself of late, never enough hours in the day it seems either Smiley Sad

These line drops are usually short in time, a few seconds as a rule. In fact I often only notice them when the net radio stops. I then do a speed test and see spikes of around 300 - 400 meg, then it will settle if i do another afterwards. the upstream power levels also jump, not often above 50, but occasionally. Also I have noticed that these short line drops are not recorded in the network log on the router, but i have grabbed screenshots of the results.

To recap, I am now using a hub 3 and also now have a new IP as well. The tech also changed the filter attached to the back of the hub from a 10db to a 6db.

That's about all I can think of right now, but if there is any more info you feel might help, more than happy yo supply.

0 Kudos