Menu
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Horrendous 5G speeds

I have a SH3 and a few months ago I reported in the trial forum that I was having awful 5G speeds but the speeds through 2.4G was normal.

The suggested and working fix was that to do a pin hole reset. The Virgin guy who suggested it never really had any reason for it but it was fixed and away he went.

So this weekend I have had really bad 5G speeds again. Ping of 100 - 300ms, Download 5Mbps and less and Upload around the same when I am on 200 MB.
So I do a pin hole reset last night and still the same.

When using 2.4G and powerline/Ethernet connections I am getting good high speeds.

Any suggestions please? I'm going to call 150 when I get back home if it is still bad but thought I would check here first. Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horrendous 5G speeds

Hi there BinghamBloke,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband speeds through the 5 GHz network.

I appreciate the tests you have completed so far, but too no avail.

When you get chance can you try a few things for me please to see if this will help?

• Change the wireless channel.
  • Re-name the SSID and password to something completely different to the 2.4 GHz network.
  • Disable the 2.4 GHz and complete a speed test on 5 GHz. You can then re-enable the 2.4 GHz network.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly it has worked (or at least it is better) however your technician before told me to not separate the name of the 2 bands as I had done from day 1.

I have read something about the V6 connecting via wireless needs the bands to be split also and that is being installed on Friday so I will keep it split and see how we get on.

I just think the wireless seems to be a lot worse than the SH2AC I have/had.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don't know why they would say don't split the SSIDs, seems silly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:
Don't know why they would say don't split the SSIDs, seems silly.

Clutching at straws

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was an original trialist of the SH3 and had split them from day 1 and then a couple of months down the line had my original speed issues so he asked me to rename it all back to how it was and done the pin reset.

Maybe they wanted to just get their product to as standard as it was when they shipped it to me as a trialist and it had worked ok again until just recently.
Either way I'm seriously thinking about buying my own router and putting the SH3 into modem mode as the wireless just seems so flaky.
0 Kudos