Menu
jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

High utilisation with no end date... :-(

Hi there.  We came across to Virgin back in November after years of slow broadband - no dates for FTTC - from Sky and were sold up to 200 Mbps - it was/is available in our area so we were told.  The very first speed test I did hit 200 - happy days!  But sadly ever since - and confirmed by an engineer who visited to sort out a TV pixelation problem (which turned out to be due to a loose cable) - we've suffered badly from so called high utilisation (aka poor capacity planning).  For the last 4 months we've been consistently told that it would be fixed on 27th April.  On the 27th I called - as no change in the service - and was told an engineer had put a note on the system saying the new date was now July.  That took an engineer?  No other details on why, just a new date.  Speeds vary between 1.5 Mbps and 40 Mbps now - every day and all day long.  No where near 200 or even 100.  I've been phoning up monthly and getting back 1/2 broadband fee (£12.50) but it's far from ideal.  Very disappointed that we've been mis-sold what we thought we were getting (and it sounds like Virgin knew already that there was a problem but decided not to say anything).

Don't want to go back to Sky but we only moved to Virgin for 21st Century broadband speeds and have been let down badly.  Any suggestions or ideas from anyone?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: High utilisation with no end date... :-(

Hi jnoble100,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I deeply apologise for slow speeds you've been receiving for the past few months. I appreciate you were expecting better when you signed up.

I've managed to locate your account to check this. I can see the high demand issue you are referring to. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to support this. This is being investigated under fault reference F003998636 and the next review date has been set for 20th July 2016.

I'm afraid I don't have any more information to provide. Our networks team are aware of this and are working towards a resolution but due to the complexity of the work needed we can never give a definite fix date.

I'm also going to send you a private message to discuss some additional things. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The date given is just a review date so pretty much as you expect there is very little chance of them achieving anything before then. As you will have noticed on here, review dates come and go and many have been active for up to 3 years with as many as 15 different review dates.

I personally am on one of their 200 meg connections that grinds to a 6mb halt most evenings it just isn't worth what you pay for it. They will offer you credit back each month for the appalling connection but it still isn't good value for money as it barely works.

They just have no interest in spending money on the network, I really cant see most of these Contention faults being resolved in the next couple years at least. It isn't that complicated that it should take them 2-3 years they are just lieing. It is all down to the budget they have for upgrades. It could have been done in a few months if they budgets were sufficient.

If you can you would be better finding alternative broadband.  People like Rich will spin you any old crap, but these have gone on for years so it is just a blag. If they had wanted to fix all these issues they would have done a long time ago. Don't wait around expecting things to improve as it just wont happen, it is a con and they are allowed to get away with it. Don't let them hold you to a contract if you decide to leave as you didn't sign up to this crap.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  No holding me to a contract - they're clearly in breach.  And then there's mis-selling.  It really is rubbish.  The private message here from Rich told me about a letter that I'd been sent - that took 3 weeks to arrive and was accompanied by another one saying because they hadn't heard back from me from the first letter, they were closing the case.  Unbelievable.  And the actual English language in the official response letter was rubbish - didn't make sense.  Never a good way to provide customer service.

Sadly it does seem a common problem, and more a sales ploy to get people in.

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Initially I could understand they had some catching up to do, but it is beyond a joke and there is absolutely no end in site.

I honestly cant see any improvement because they clearly are losing the plot. The systems they have in place just do not work. People are wise to it all now. They think if they hide away on here and just repeat the same review date crap that people believe it. Maybe 6 months ago, but after a year of having a fault open, who would actually be confident of them resolving anything. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi jnoble100, 

Thanks for getting back in touch I'm sorry to see the letter you have been sent was not up to standard. 

We will let you know as soon as we know more about the fault. Rich has given you all the information we have currently but once the review date of 20 JUL 2016 comes round hopefully we will have better news for you. 

I'm sorry I do not have more to advise you at this time. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Emma, We both know as soon as July comes you are going to give a new review date and no further information. 

This is part of the problem, this is just going to go around in the usual circle. When are things likely to improve?

jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Nonsense.  The only note from the engineer was to say the date had moved.  No more details.  Was that really from an engineer?  Read the letter and let us know what you think.  It's not a fault - it's lack of planning and overselling.  Simple.  Come on Virgin.  All I need is BT Openreach to sort out FTTC and then it's back to Sky.

0 Kudos
jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well said.  But don't hold your breathe for a real response.  No accountability.  No one knows apart from the customer how bad this is.  200 Mbps is still being sold in my area!

Parki79
Rising star
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We have yet to see anything technical from an engineer. 

The last review date person went crazy and suffered from RSI, so they had to get a new one.

0 Kudos