Menu
fuadosman15
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

High ping whenever family is around

i live in a household with at least 5 people who use the internet through phones or laptops etc.

when i play games, my ping is only low and stable when maybe 3 or 2 people including me are using the internet. however, when everyone is using the internet,

the ping is extremely high and can go up to 900 ms for quite a while. this isn't good when im playing games and since i have "superfibre 50" this is not what i expected.

just wondering why im being charged such high prices (30-40 quid) for slow internet... and what i can do about it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping whenever family is around

VM HUBS have no QOS features.

If you want to game with a lower ping whilst others are using the internet, you'll have to look at getting a router with more grunt and some QOS features, and putting your HUB in modem mode.

You are on a residential connection there are no SLA's for latency or anything else so VM's attitude is, connections working fine WAN side, not our problem. Which to be fair is okay as long as thw WAN connection is performing well, which it seems to be given your description (low latency when its only you on)

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also how are you connecting to the internet, wired or via wifi, as sharing wifi with other people can also effect things.

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If using WiFi older WiFi devices can drag down the WiFi network speeds, are any of your family using old phones/tablets etc?

As stated if you want QoS to help you will need a separate router, these can prioritise your gaming traffic over the traffic your family are creating on their devices.

Also with WiFi it can be affected by lots of electrical factors, baby monitors,  DECT phones, TVs,  etc so would be worth moving your SH if it is near any devices to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
fuadosman15
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i've tried to change channels and use ethernet cable to stabilise and increase my internet speed but it is still high and inconsistent, mostly during night while in the day, the ping/speed is not as bad.

at this point, i think the problem is the ISP who may not be providing what i've paid for or maybe i missed something

just to clarify, my internet speed always suck whenever other family members use the wifi at the same time and im assuming this isnt what it means to have 50 mbps

thoughts?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

fuadosman15 wrote:
i've tried to change channels and use ethernet cable to stabilise and increase my internet speed but it is still high and inconsistent, mostly during night while in the day, the ping/speed is not as bad.

at this point, i think the problem is the ISP who may not be providing what i've paid for or maybe i missed something

just to clarify, my internet speed always suck whenever other family members use the wifi at the same time and im assuming this isnt what it means to have 50 mbps

thoughts?

You need to seperate out two issues.

Your headline speed- are you getting 50Mbps? The only way to find out is a wired speedtest using a CAT5E cable or better with no other devices connected. Is it constant- i.e in the evening, do you still get 60MBps under those conditions?

If so, then its just the way it works. The router divides up the 50Mbps amongst ALL connected devices, so  if everyone is on the internet at the same time, no way YOUR device will see 50Mbps. Latency will also increase. A separate router with QOS features will counteract increased latency- but there will still only be 50Mbps shared among ALL devices connected.

chutwutt
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

with all due respect

maybe the other user in your house r messing up the connection

telll em 2 get their own line

hey

whom pays the bills chap>?

0 Kudos
wyndstryke
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

fuadosman15 wrote:
... but it is still high and inconsistent, mostly during night while in the day, the ping/speed is not as bad. ...

Is it simply that the other people in your household happen to usually be around at peak time (evening)?

See what the speed is like if everyone except you is out at peak time.  Connect using ethernet not wifi.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

voicon wrote:

Also with WiFi it can be affected by lots of electrical factors, baby monitors,  DECT phones, TVs,  etc so would be worth moving your SH if it is near any devices to see if that helps.

Just a small point but DECT phones, and baby monitors using DECT, do not interfere with WiFi.  DECT operates in a separate discrete frequency band.

0 Kudos
fuadosman15
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i tested my speed in the evening with only me using the wifi to play a game and my ping was low but kept randomly increasing to 500 ms or higher at random times. it was even worse when everyone else use the wifi cause it would increase up to 10000 ms or more and stay consistently high

in the morning and afternoon, if me and or, 3 or less people are using the internet then my ping is stable and low.

the thing is that i am the only person in this household who uses the computer and i constantly have high ping/low speed and forced to watch videos on low quality so that they dont buffer. im not sure about my family members situation with the internet but they use phones, ipad and laptop without any complaints.

also how would one get a seperate router with QOS features and is it an extra cost
0 Kudos