Menu
Humorousone
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

High area uptake in Northolt, for the last year

Hey VM community.

This post is both a complaint and (hopefully) some help to others living in the Northolt area as of January 2016.

Around April last year (not long after we'd upgraded from 50 to 150Mbps I believe), I made a call to VM support with issues of high ping experienced by everyone in our house, on weekday evenings and on weekends.

Support told me about a high uptake issue my area area, which was being fixed, and said that it should be fixed by about september.

Issues continued on and off for a while, and I ended up making a call in about November with the same issue, high uptake. They pushed the estimated fix date back to mid December (of last year)

It's now mid January, and we've been having issues with high ping since just before Christmas.
It's worse than ever before now, making browsing the internet at peak times very slow (nearing unusable), with stable pings of 500 or more, and very slow speeds overall.

I spoke on VM live chat earlier today, and they've now said that the estimated fix time has now been pushed back to march... which is disappointing.
In the chat, support said they'd credit our account for the quality of service, and I'm waiting for that to happen.
I'd like to note that last time we were credited (I can't remember the date), they gave us £10 back - we pay £60 per month.

Speeds can be great during the day - we can hit 150Mbps at times.
Problem is, there's rarely anyone in during the day, and we end up making very little use of those high speeds.

The dates I mentioned might be a little bit off (I'm remembering them off the top of my head), but we've certainly been waiting almost a year (maybe more) for this high uptake to be fixed, and it hasn't.

As much as this issue might be helping me pass my exams (because I've not really been able to play many multiplayer games anymore),  I really think the price we're paying for this standard of connection is insulting.

0 Kudos
Humorousone
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: High area uptake in Northolt, for the last year

Ninja update:

Forgot about this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/VM-Superhub-2ac-Only-allows-a-few-device...

This highlights one of the issues I was having.
A technician was called out, and put the WiFi connection issues down to high uptake.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Humorousone,

Thanks for the post, though disappointing to hear that the peak time slow speeds have been a problem for so long.

Just to add to the information you've kindly supplied I can confirm that networks have this raised on ref. F003512701, with as you mention, the latest estimate for upgrade work to the local network infrastructure currently around March.

If you continue to bump us periodically we'll gladly check for any news or updates.

Apologies again that this is taking so long to resolve for you.

Kind Regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Humorousone
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just bumping this topic.

The internet has been unusable for the last two sunday evenings.

Here's a speedtest taken early sunday evening. After about 9pm I couldn't load any webpages at all

52cc85705787b1c8f492e1fe81ba06a4

150Mbps...

I'm not sure that ping is correct, teamspeak showed a 500+ ping, while LoL showed a ~400 ping just after this test was taken.

Oh, and you sent us an email talking about how our speeds were going up, lol.

0 Kudos
Sharmiz8812
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm also a virgin media user in the Northolt area and I got off the phone last night to virgin media and had a similar convo. I've had a area problem for a few weeks now where I'm getting discounted randomly and receiving high ping. I got told they can only credit my account by £12 and I'm expected to pay £45+ a month for 50mb until the problem is fixed (in July) when I'm receiving 3mb max.

I've notice during the day it works fine, but during 8-11pm roughly it's awful.

Really hope they fix this problem. Are you still experiencing the same?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sharmiz8812, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems  that you are affected by fault ref F004763087 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date is 19/07/2017. 

I will pop you a PM to discuss this further, keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos