Menu
Area22_Customer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High Utilisation Again!!?! - East London Area 22

My charges have increased 2 times in the last 9 months, and another increase of £3.49 is on its way so I was notified by email just this week.

Before the new year it was stated that early 2016 there would be a speed increase. Well if the speed is to go up, no problem - fair enough.

It was only till sometime over a month ago that I received the Super Hub 2 and began receiving 210 Mbps down and 12.5 up. Before 174 Mbps down and 12.2 up constantly all day every day.

Now in the evenings and weekends it's dropping to close to 140 Mbps. I know things could be a lot worse, like others maybe experiencing, but I've got an awful feeling it's going the way it did circa 3 years ago:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Poor-120Mbs-Service-Area-22-On-Going-Issue-Since-...

My total bill per month will be somewhere in the region of £63. I don't use the landline, have a virgin mobile sim contract, and I don't watch TV. So I am only really in this for the broadband.

Would someone look into this and determine whether there is indeed a slight case of high utilisation occurring on this area network at peak times. For if there is, and the past two weeks of monitoring point that way, it's a fast and steep slope down to utterly useless broadband at peak times.

The irony being that before the upgrade things were just fine, now the faster broadband is slower than it was previously, and it is spiking/fluctuating on the download test - a bad sign from experience.

If someone would look into this I would be much obliged.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Utilisation Again!!?! - East London Area 22

Is this wired or wireless?

24/7 or mainly during peak times?

0 Kudos
Area22_Customer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Everything wired & evenings & weekends

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That does sound like high utilisation especially if the speeds are ok off peak.

If you're in contract you can use the price increase to get out without penalty.

0 Kudos
Area22_Customer
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It does doesn't.

What then happens is the issue escalates rapidly where download speeds plummet, spikes up and down rapidly and ping goes through the roof whilst upload speed is unaffected. Then fault raised with resolution date, date comes and goes and so on and so on. Two years later maybe just maybe the service is once again sorted.

Can't wait for the next round to begin.

Over selling the network isn't the best business model in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Area22_Customer
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone from Virgin Media going to respond and look into this?

The problem is gaining momentum and I would like to made fully aware of what's happening so I can determine my future with Virgin Media.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Area22_Customer,

Thanks for posting and apologies for not getting to you sooner.

I've tried to run checks on your connection but currently your Superhub is offline. I need to confirm if you turn it off in the day or if this is a fault, so I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right).

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos