Menu
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

High Ping and Packet loss.

Getting much Lag and ping spikes in online games for the past few days can someone take a look?

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High Ping & Packet loss.

Hi Bestie,

I've checked fault reference F004087232 and can see the reveiew date is still set for 13/04. We'll have more information on/after this date so we'll be in contact with you to pass any information on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bestie,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering lag and ping spikes in online games at the moment.  I understand how frustrating that is, I'll see what I can do to help.

Is this a problem that's only recently started?  I only ask as I've run some checks on the hub and network segment, I've found an SNR outage affecting the local cable at the moment, the reference is F004242158, our engineers are currently working to get things sorted, we're hopeful of more news shortly.

Could you keep an eye on things over the next few days and report back please?  I believe the SNR outage is responsible for the problems you're seeing, but if not I'm keen to look into things further.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Same problem with High Ping mostly in the evenings. Could this be Utilization too? as i can sort of deal with slow speeds by getting high bandwidth tasks done early but this is just not usable for anything. ( Please ignore the big red line the router was powered off for cleaning )

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Ok Some work was done in my local cabinet today I am guessing this is for the SNR fault? ( The red line shows the time my internet was off due to the work being done in the green cabinet ) But even after the work I am still getting high Ping in the evenings and slow speeds which I have been getting for 2 Years now due to utilization but I can't deal with High ping as this is what matters most for my tasks I use the internet for.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

My Internet from around 2:30AM was down until around 12PM this afternoon. What is the problem with this? the Ping isn't improving much either and the downtime is getting really annoying.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bestie, 

Thanks for keeping us updated, those graphs aren't looking great are they?

Looking at your connection there is a couple of things going on. Firstly it seems you're affected by fault ref F004087232 for slow speeds at peak times. This is currently with the planning team and we'll have more news on this after 13/04/2016. 

I can also see your downstream power levels are too high, I'd like to get an engineer out to take a look at that for you. I'll pop you a PM to get this arranged. Look out for the purple Envelope top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Had the Engineer come over and he has fixed the power levels as he put a device on the back of the modem and did some work in the Green Cabinet & this seems to have solved the cutting out issues i was having but i am still getting huge ping spikes in the evenings which is making my connection unusable. I Spoke to support and they told me the Ping is also down to Utilisation? that just makes the connection worth nothing to me as i can't even use it to game on if that's the case. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bestie, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for posting that new TBB graph. 

Unfortunately during peak times you will see slower speeds, this can also be accompanied by ping/lag. 

Are you using a wired or wireless connection? If wireless try wired if you can as it is a more stable connection. I will keep you updated on the progress of the fault and we should have more news after 13/04/2016. 

I'm sorry if that isn't the best news right now. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma, Yes i am using a Wired connection on all devices i run these tests on & also my Consoles are Wired also.

I figured as much it would be down to Utilization as this has been happening and getting worse for more than a Year now with the Dates constantly slipping further and further back.

The Virgin Sales team need to stop offering / selling the 200 Mbps in the area as many people are still having this broadband installed in the area that i know of which shouldn't be allowed as Open Reach Suspend new signups when the Fiber network is at full load and they recently installed a new Green Cabinet in the street which makes 3 to Virgins one.
0 Kudos