Menu
rogermh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Herne Hill broadband "utilization issue"

Our broadband speed is up and down like a yoyo, varying from 3mbs to 130mbs out of a quoted 150mbs. Called customer service last week, they said it was due to over utilization of the service and more infrastructure to cope would be in place by 1 feb. Same issue on 1 Feb, so called again - fix has been put back to 19th April! It seems unbelievable the such a company can not provide their core quoted service for nearly 3 months. They have offered me £10per month compensation, so although i may not be able work from home reliably i will be able to but 3 more coffees in the internet cafe I will have to be visiting. This must surely be a case for BBC You and Yours or other consumer programme? Anyone else?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
rogermh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Herne Hill broadband "utilization issue"

Even though 19 April is long gone, we still have the same issue. At this moment it's 26mb download speed, which is useable but not what we're paying for. Around 6 months now since the start of the issue. However in answer to your question, Sorry I was never given a fault code.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hiya @rogermh the biggest impact on doing work can be lovely red tape from councils, sub-contractors, since to upgrade an area takes a lot of work, isnt matter of plugging in a few more cables (well technically is) but a lot of work is required behind the scenes aswell.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
dtvwbills
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Whats the Fault code for this? 

Has the work been done or delayed?

0 Kudos
rogermh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Even though 19 April is long gone, we still have the same issue. At this moment it's 26mb download speed, which is useable but not what we're paying for. Around 6 months now since the start of the issue. However in answer to your question, Sorry I was never given a fault code.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi rogermh,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I've taken a look at the high peak time traffic fault in your area, reference number F004865575, and our engineers are still working on this to improve bandwidth with a review date of 5th July. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tommey
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@rogermh

Please understand the REVIEW date you have been given is simply a date where they will give you another date and another etc, make sure if you are staying with VM that you ask for bill credits for the F code you have been given.

Also do you happen to know your AREA code and first few characters of your postal code so I can update the list of current over utilisation fault codes 

All the best

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

- First reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 -    - Review 01/05/15 - Review 12/08/15 - Review 14/10/15 - Review 04/11/15 - Review 15/04/16 - Review 06/07/16 - Review 31/09/16 - Review 30/11/16 - Review 15/02/17 - Review 12/07/17 - Review 20/09/17 - Review 14/06/17 - Review 10/01/18 - Review 25/04/18 - F004670584 << 3 YEARS+ 

But with BT Fibre I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

0 Kudos
dtvwbills
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We are experiencing similar issues - basically we can't watch anything streamed (on-demand, iplayer etc) during peak times - i.e. every evening -  without buffering. I don't even try and watch iplayer in HD anymore.

I am area 21, and we are in Herne Hill (SE24 postcode) - although I've not had it confirmed this Fault code applies to us.

What is a typical bill credit size for this?

0 Kudos
rogermh
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I just logged in to my account to find my area code (21), to be met with

"Your speed boost is complete! Your connection speed is now up to 200Mbps. We've upgraded your speed so you can enjoy more of what you love to do online."

hilarious

post code SE24

What download speed can you achieve with BT? I understand that as we are a long way from the switchboard, some copper involved may affect speed, whereas virgin is cable all the way. or have a misunderstood?

0 Kudos
tommey
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rogermh wrote:

What download speed can you achieve with BT? I understand that as we are a long way from the switchboard, some copper involved may affect speed, whereas virgin is cable all the way. or have a misunderstood?

I get 77/20 twenty four seven just look at my two graphs below for VM and BT massive difference in QUALITY

BT Fibre speeds depend on how close you are to the cabinet that serves your house not by distance to the exchange, also quality of copper between you and the cabinet and any internal wiring may affect speeds.

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

- First reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 -    - Review 01/05/15 - Review 12/08/15 - Review 14/10/15 - Review 04/11/15 - Review 15/04/16 - Review 06/07/16 - Review 31/09/16 - Review 30/11/16 - Review 15/02/17 - Review 12/07/17 - Review 20/09/17 - Review 14/06/17 - Review 10/01/18 - Review 25/04/18 - F004670584 << 3 YEARS+ 

But with BT Fibre I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rogermh wrote:

If you search for BT Infinity broadband and go to their website you can enter your postcode and find out exactly what you can expect to get based on your local cabinet. When BT don't have capacity they tell their customers:

When there is capacity they can tell you what your estimated speed is and your minimum guaranteed speed will be:

Unfortunately VM can't/won't give this  kind of information up front to their customers. Instead they insist that I can get up to 200Mbs broadband. Which is true, so long as I'm asleep or at work. Otherwise it's around 5Mbs:

If anyone at VM is wondering why your customers think you're being economical with the truth and don't trust you any more, this is the reason why.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016