Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7 (144 Views)

Help - my speed has suddenly dropped massively

[ Edited ]

Hi All

I was consistently getting 220Mbs download speed and very happy but recently it has plummeted to between 80 and 90Mbs (see the speedtest.net historic speed test results below.)  And I'm sure it's not just a peak time problem as it's dropped to 80 - 90Mbs at all times of the day and night.

I'm using a hard wired connection and haven't changed anything at my end so VM must have done something at theirs.  I really don't want to waste yet more of my life on the phone to VM (who simply follow a script and tell me to reboot my router, disconnect other devices, check I'm not using wifi, etc) so can anyone suggest a way to get back to what I'm paying for or do I have to resign myself to sitting on the phone for hours with tech support?

speedtest_results.png

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7 (136 Views)

Re: Help - my speed has suddenly dropped massively

Take it to Twitter and copy in @ofcom

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7 (127 Views)

Hi BigDaddyDavee - thanks for the suggestion but I have no idea how to do Twitter (I'm too long in the tooth!)

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7 (118 Views)

It's a piece of cake. Using this forum is a decent analogue and is probably harder. While I don't like Twitter per se, it seems that it is a very good conduit to airing public grievances with companies. It looks like it takes at least one week to get a reply here  whereas on Twitter I got a reply instantly from @virginmedia. (With @Ofcom copied in for visibility).

It's so effective that Sky Broadband saw the messages and cheekily made a play for my business. It's a big game and I suggest that you play it.

It appears that Virgin's problems are bigger than you or I at this point. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/627982/Virgin-Media-Broadband-chaos-BBC-Hacking

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7 (108 Views)

If your speeds have dropped to 80-90Mb all day, it won't be a utilisation fault. Is your wired connection connected at gigabit speeds? Also, is the light on the back of the hub (where the ethernet cable is connected) yellow or green?

Twitter isn't a very good way to get faults resolved by VM, in the end they just suggest calling or using this forum, so you've come to the right place. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7 (72 Views)

Hi there TangoTango27,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to see you are having an issue with the broadband speeds.

I've run some tests on your line for any issues, and everything has come back as fine. The network segment is running stable and healthy, which is good.

If the speeds are running at 80 - 90 Mbps, this can be due to a hardware issue. Does the LAN card on your device show a speed of 100 Mbps rather than a gigabit? 

Speak to you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7 (41 Views)

Hi Sam

Thanks for looking into this for me.  However, I have to come clean and admit that it was my network card at fault.  A recent driver update had switched the speed from gigbit to 100mbs and I hadn't noticed - doh!

Thanks again but I'm back up to 220 Mbps now :-)

Paul

0 Kudos