Menu
greyman
Superfast
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Have VM ever actually solved an over-utilisation issue?

i was just wondering, is anyone aware of seeing where VM customers have posted that their previous over-utilisation issues have been permanently resolved or at least for more than a few weeks?

I don't recall seeing any such post, so is VM simply stringing us all along, with absolutely no intention of fixing the problems, until we get so fed up that we leave?

Just a thought

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have VM ever actually solved an over-utilisation issue?

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

So that would be a "no" then?

0 Kudos
BigManA
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I don't think they ever announce it, they just fix it on the fly. I'd imagine it'd be quite the task to ring up each customer in the affected area to let them know 'yes it's all fixed now, enjoy'.

Truth is, people who don't check won't notice whether or not they get what they pay for, especially if they can't see the performance issue in day to day browsing.

It took a year and five months for me to get my speeds back from over utilisation!
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well, back in August 2015 an ongoing fault that had lasted 8 months was fixed in my part of Portsmouth (PO4). This was the message from VM on this forum:

"I've looked at the ticket and it has been closed following the contention returning to tolerable levels. This was after the most recent set of works. Some of the fix is sensitive information so I can't tell you too much I'm afraid but I can see that some equipment has been upgraded and additional downstream channels added. I predict the students coming back in October will certainly have an impact but hopefully the new equipment will be up to the task."

Up until 20th January this year I had no problems. After running some pretty good speed tests I decided to change my contract and to cut a long story short, my package changed from 152Mbs DL / 12Mbs UL to 150Mbs DL / 10Mbs UL. Cue immediate utilisation fault. When I checked out the reference on the forums (F003957459) I found that it had been ongoing since October 2015. So for some people the "fix" lasted 3 months until the students returned, but for me it lasted until my contract changed.

I asked how this was possible and VM said on this forum:

"The package that one is on tends not to make much difference when area traffic approaches maximum capacity, your hub has been on the same cable since 2014 by the way so it may have got worse and just happens to coincide with your change of package."

For me the key word in that statement is "tends" because my experience was definitely different and I never would have even considered renewing my contract had there been any sign of a fault having been through all this nonsense once before.

I know some people will be skeptical of this, but as I said, this was my experience and you can make of it what you will.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

greyman wrote:

Seems to be a "yes" for that user. And check his/her posts, hardly reticent about pointing out where VM are not performing.

Im not going to defend VM's treatment of areas with over utilisation. My criticism of continuing to sell and upgrade speeds in already over subscribed areas is on record. But it does get fixed. I think the best proviso is "eventually" -  think years, not weeks or months.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

greyman wrote:

Seems to be a "yes" for that user. And check his/her posts, hardly reticent about pointing out where VM are not performing.

I think greyman said that because he's looking for something a bit longer term than a post that's only 10 hours old. He's thinking weeks/months/years ... or is that too optimistic? It seems to me that in some over utilised areas the issues can return after a while as VM sign up more customers. Where I live it ebbs and flows a bit with the coming and goings of the student population.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Here's a nice map provided by Thinkbroadband showing the state of the Cable Network.

quality-metric-cable

The quality metric has a scale where 1 is the ideal and if in the 1.4 to 1.6 region you are doing pretty well, so on the charts you are looking for green and yellow.

Even to the layman the amount of red, and lack of green, in the cable broadband chart is clearly an issue and one only has to look at our own and other Virgin Media forums to see a lot of people complaining of poor broadband and people like gamers switching to VDSL2 finding while downloads are often slower on VDSL2 since it does not have the same maximum speed, gaming and web browsing is generally better.

The fact that the cable quality chart does have 'some' good areas highlights that this metric is likely to be showing those postcode areas of the UK where congestion on either the local DOCSIS segment or in IP network are an issue.

Source data

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Theres no permanent fix for overutilisation as things stand. .  Even if VM re-segment or add a head-end, new subscribers or the exponential growth of bandwidth requirement will saturate whatever is put in place.

Add Docsis 3.1 or better still Full Duplex Docsis 3.1 and a different picture emerges. Comcast in the states are committed to going down that road. - a lot of the issues at the minute are over-saturation of upstream , downstream USUALLY has spare capacity.

It goes in cycles. BT openreaches infrastructure is currently less susceptible to over utilisation, but over time as bandwidth requirements escalate, it WILL become so.

I remember when the way to avoid overutilisation was to switch TO VM , as ADSL was permanently saturated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

ian-c wrote:

Here's a nice map provided by Thinkbroadband showing the state of the Cable Network.

quality-metric-cable

The quality metric has a scale where 1 is the ideal and if in the 1.4 to 1.6 region you are doing pretty well, so on the charts you are looking for green and yellow.

Even to the layman the amount of red, and lack of green, in the cable broadband chart is clearly an issue and one only has to look at our own and other Virgin Media forums to see a lot of people complaining of poor broadband and people like gamers switching to VDSL2 finding while downloads are often slower on VDSL2 since it does not have the same maximum speed, gaming and web browsing is generally better.

The fact that the cable quality chart does have 'some' good areas highlights that this metric is likely to be showing those postcode areas of the UK where congestion on either the local DOCSIS segment or in IP network are an issue.

Source data

I cant comment for areas I have no experience of, but for the ones I have, its utter rubbish.

My area is pure red yet I'm in the privileged position where my Vm connection works at 100% speed 100% of the time. And I have NEVER seen anyone on any of the cabled areas I am aware of having speed issues.  And I accept not everyone has the same experience

Skewed sample? Only people with issues run a speed test ? Bad data? Bad algorithm? Dunno but even by their OWN local data to me, people are doing fine.

I dont actually get what you are saying there, can you expand?

0 Kudos