Menu
apollo_
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Have I been misold ? Recently Upgraded to 200MB connection and have very slow speed in evening -

Dear Virgin,

Slow BB speed is conintually being throttled down to around 4MB in Area 31 - Specifically CM179R area during Peak use,  I’ve just been upgraded to a 200MB connection so contacted support for some answers.

After  a few support calls  and complaints I finally get told that the servers in the area are oversubscribed and consequently can't cope with the number of subscribers during peak times and that new servers are going to be put in February of next year to cope with the load (customers will be migrated over).

Really - Is this a joke?

I am furious - why was I offered a upgrade package that can’t work when I need to use it?

Sales staff never mentioned that I could end up with a 2% speed of normal, this is clearly mis-selling and fraudulent on Virgin's part. 

I have had to sign a new 12 month contract and unless I get some proper explanations now I will be forced to cancel this agreement and go with one of your competitors - I will be forced to engage Ofcom and our local MP if I do not get a suitable response.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have I been misold ? Recently Upgraded to 200MB connection and have very slow speed in evening -

You won't get a response within the cooling off period as the forum team take 1-2 weeks currently for a reply.

Couple points though:
Service is sold as an 'up to' service not a guaranteed service. You can get full speed between midnight-2/3pm in most cases, that shows the network is capable of delivering the speeds at least, just not always in peak time.

However my advice would be to leave while you are in the cooling off period and check out alternatives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
apollo_
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have I been misold ? Recently Upgraded to 200MB connection and have very slow speed in evening -

Thanks,

its dropped to to barely over a1mb now,  I've been with virgin for over 15 years I can't believe how they're treating me. 

im going to call tomorrow and cancel everything I'm done. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello apollo_,

Thanks for joining the community, welcome!

Sorry to hear that you're getting slow speeds at the moment, I know this must be disappointing.

I've checked your area and I can see we're currently working on a fault, the ref is: F004865641 and it's due for review on the 8th Feb. While this fault is on-going you might experience slow speeds during peak time hours (evenings and weekends).

I know this isn't the news you were hoping for, please try an use an Ethernet cable where possible and let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos