Menu
bugsears1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Harpenden Internet

I have been experiencing slow and dropping out internet in the Harpenden area for 18 months now - VM say they are aware of this and keep putting the date back where the might fix it.

It's now time to contact my MP - please do the same

Dear Peter Lilley MP,
I want to bring to your attention Virgin Media's appalling internet coverage and speed in the Harpenden area. Since November 2015, I and many others have experienced slow internet speeds at peak times - sometimes as slow as 1mb/s. The internet will also dropout regularly.
When speaking to Virgin Media they say that there is a lot of traffic at peak times and they are working on improving the infrastructure. They say that local councils are making their lives difficult by not allowing them to complete work on time. - They have offered me some compensation and have also said that Iam welcome to switch provider and won't hold me to a contract.
My point is that this has been going on for 18 months and their service is not fit for purpose. As you know the internet is an essential tool of modern day life. Adults need it for work, children need it for homework in order to pass exams - It really is as important as running water in 2017.
I would be most grateful if you would thoroughly investigate Virgin Media on the subject of their internet speeds and dropouts in Harpenden. I don't want you to have to listen to their excuses as we've all done but put serious pressure on them on this issue.
I look forward to a detailed and personal reply please - this isn't a case where a routine answer will do i'm afraid.

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Harpenden Internet

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi bugears1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies you are experiencing an issue with your broadband speeds due to a fault in your area.

I've taken a look at the high peak time traffic fault (F003488995) and our engineers are working on this to improve bandwidth with a review date of 7th June. As this is a review date it can be subject to change due to the work that is required which can involve implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc. This will require planning permission from the local council and 3rd party companies.

I appreciate how frustrating this must be and I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bugsears1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha
Thank you for the reply.
I'm afraid your information tells me nothing new and gives me an estimated fix date that from past experiences will be put back and back. Like I say I've been waiting 18 months.l already.
I believe that in my area Virgin Media is not fit for purpose and as a company is not giving me enough information on the exact situation or simply doesn't care.
0 Kudos