Menu
stecartwright8
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HIGH PING, HIGH JITTER, LOW SPEEDS

Every night around 8pm my internet connection becomes practically unusable.

When I run a test on pingtest.com I can have results of 108ms PING and 138ms JITTER or worse. When I run a speed test it is usually around 4Mb/s download. At this point it becomes difficult to do anything practical on the internet, stream, game etc.

But come tomorrow morning everything is back to normal, no jitter, low ping and speed up to max speed. It is really frustrating that VM can't guarantee a solid connection throughout the day. Especially when I only use the net at peak times as I'm at work when it's working optimally earning the cash to pay for a service that does not work fully when I get in. Oh the irony.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: HIGH PING, HIGH JITTER, LOW SPEEDS

Make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

Imagine taking your car to be repaired only to find that it will take as long as they want to to repair it but you still have to pay, you can use it when you don't need it, and stuffed when you do, but heyho, cough up buddy. 

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
stecartwright8
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful reply
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

stecartwright8 wrote:

Especially when I only use the net at peak times as I'm at work when it's working optimally earning the cash to pay for a service that does not work fully when I get in. Oh the irony.

Not so much irony as the reality.  Just like you, the world and his wife and kids tend to only use the internet in the evenings when they all get home.  So suddenly all those users with multiple devices are competing for a limited amount of bandwidth (classic over-utilisation) which VM should be addressing but they are not in some areas and only slowly in others.  I suffer from it too.  My daytime speed is 76mbps but that frequently drops to single figures after 6pm.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
stecartwright8
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

My daytime speed is 76mbps but that frequently drops to single figures after 6pm.

I understand that at peak times my download speeds will drop to somewhere in the single figures, I could live with this. But the main issue is the spikes in ping and awful jitter that affects all online applications. If I had 5mb down but decent ping and jitter then everything would still work optimally. That is the frustrating thing. 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That too is quite normal I'm afraid.  set up a BQM  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html  and you'll see how the evening over-utilisation results in greater latency and even packet loss.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos