Menu
DrGWatson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Glasgow speed problems

Hello,

I am experiencing fluctuating speeds in area 28 for the past two nights. I have checked my network, the service status and the online equipment test with no success in finding the issue. Are there works being undertaken by virgin here as at the moment broadband provides no connection and is plain broken.

Gordon
0 Kudos
Monkey_Butler
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Glasgow speed problems

I am also in area 28 but have been having intermittent speed issues for the last week or so (speed dips right down to nothing at times). Phoned up and customer services told me there was long term work going on in the area but I think that's a red herring because that work has been going on since August and my broadband was fine until last week (and the nature of the work going on shouldn't affect the broadband speed from what I can gather from the service status description). Told them I'd leave it a week or so to see how it goes and if it's still bad then I want an engineer out to look at it.

I'm actually just glad I'm not alone with this issue!

DrGWatson
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Considering the issues we been having in addition to the increased prices (my bill just recently went up by 10 % with absolutely no notice.. lets just gloss over how unethical that is for now). This is completely unacceptable.

I was expecting quality improvements and instead my service becomes unreliable... I feel there is explaining to do. 

Monkey_Butler
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When I phoned customer services, the guy told me he had done a few tweaks to my router to try and resolve the issue. I went into the config afterwards and all he seemed to have done was change the wireless broadcast channel. I'm not sure why he thought this would improve my unreliable line speed, probably just giving me the classic fob-off technique. Have you called them to report this? If enough people complain from the same area then they might realise there's actually a fault!!

DrGWatson
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I was planning to phone Virgin today if they didn't get back to me. I work during the day so I was hoping this would be resolved over these discussions but it doesn't seem like anyone from Virgin is paying attention.

0 Kudos
Monkey_Butler
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Consistent high speed last night for me, so here's hoping it's back to normal (probably jinxed it now!).

DrGWatson
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problems again yesterday. I phoned VM two times. The first time was when I got home around six and they said that because I was a heavy user I was being throttled and that I should phone again when I am experiencing the issues. 

Bang on 11pm the issues started again (third night in a row), so I phoned VM again. This time they said I wasn't being throttled as this was against the conditions of my package. The lady on the phone asked me to not use my own third-party router (which is much better than the supplied VM router) when we removed this from the equation it still didn't work. Then she started doing stuff on her end and asked me to remove and reattach my fibre cable (the white one). It started working again after this...but I am still expecting the internet to die again tonight at 11pm. 

0 Kudos
Monkey_Butler
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was in bed by 11 so it may well have crapped out without me noticing.

However, over the last week I've been running regular speed tests and the most I was getting was around 25-30Mb (I'm on a 50Mb package and always tend to get full speed), but ran a few speed tests last night and was hitting around 50 again, so something definitely seems to have changed for the better.

0 Kudos
DrGWatson
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

For the benefit of anyone searching through this forum for a solution to this issue. 

After much wrangling Virgin sent me a new modem and this fixed the issue. I was able to confirm this was the issue myself as (unlikely as it seems) I was able to temporarily fix the problem by changing the ethernet port my device was wired into. Bizzare stuff. Fixed now and faster than before.

0 Kudos