Menu
RossMaden
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Glasgow - Terrible Service Provided

I'm not a new customer to Virgin - I've been with them for a few years now. I've never reached the "full" speed at which I pay for. But I always assume that's par for the course.

HOWEVER, the last month and a bit ( and still on-going ) is making me consider a 56k modem as an alternative to my current level of service provided by Virgin. I currently pay for the 200mb line with my total monthly bill sitting in at a not-so-comfortable £71.

5pm->2am each day , and every single weekend renders my internet completely awful. I've tried a direct connection, I've tried resetting the router - changing channels, nothing works. What's odd is that my upstream connection is perfectly fine.

So after numerous calls to VM's customer service team, I got told the following information from different people.

1. I wasn't being throttled.
  2. I was being throttled.
  3. There was work in the area that has been on-going from September with no end-date fixed.
  4. There was work in the area that has since completed.

One of the "tech support team" ( I use the term loosely, they stick so close to the script that they might as well be actors ) told me that there "upgrade work" going on in the area to reduce over-utilization. He then told me that this would lead to "volatile" internet speeds at peak times, even mentioning that "it will become the worst at peaks and the weekend". When I asked why I hadn't been notified of such a probably downtime, he quickly fobbed me over to the retention team. The first person I spoke to there told me that he could remove £3 from my monthly bill for me to stay. What a load of b*****s, not-so-politely declined the offer.

To give you an idea of speeds, during peak I can't even run speedtest. I quite literally get a rate of 100-500 Kb's, no where near in the league of the 200Mb's I'm paying for.

Does anyone have any advice on this matter - not in terms of fixing it ( judging by the forums this cannot be fixed ) - but how to go about making sure VM compensate me accordingly. This is not the service I pay for.

Ross.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Glasgow - Terrible Service Provided

Unfortunately if you are in an area suffering from overutilisation,your options are fairly limited

• Take whatever discount you can negotiate and sit tight
  • Leave

I say "if" as mostly if your area is affected, your upstream will be impaired and you say yours isn't. Wait for staff to pick it up and tell you what is REALLY going on, then mull over your options from there.

0 Kudos
RossMaden
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, you're quite literally responding 5000x faster than the company I'm paying £70 a month for a terrible service are.

With regards to your idea, doesn't that involve me having to wait 7+ days on this forum - just to have someone suggest to me to change the wireless channel? ( seems to be the most common fob-off there is ).

I've been told that everything is fine ( all be it remotely ). My speed loss either is un-related to over-utilization ( and just happened to occur at the same time as everyone else in the UK appeared to complain ) OR it's over-utilization.

I spoke to a guy in retentions today - he offered me £10 off of my bill for the months so far with bad service. The annoying thing is that I work from home ( or used to, can't do it anymore ) when I get home from the office most days. I'm going to take this to twitter I think - they always reply if you barrage them with pictures of awful speedtests and #worsethan56k

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No, the staff on here are more knowledgeable and  will give you the REAL reason things are going wrong with your connection. Replies can take up to a week, but if theres something obvious wrong we (the Su's) can escalate it quicker for you.

What I can do while you are waiting is to run through some metrics with you, if you like.

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

RossMaden
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So I came home from work - ran a speed test. Got the below - this is usually quite indicative what it's like outside of peak times, I'm incredibly lucky to be able to use my internet at this time in the evening.

Now for the information you asked for.

UpstreamUpstreamDownstreamDownstreamNetwork LogsNetwork Logs

Let me know if there is anything else you think would be useful. 

Thank you for the assistance.

Ross.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Power levels etc look fine- Pre RS errors are high on the first couple of downstream channels, but thats not a big issue

Can you set up a BQM and leave it running

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

That should tell us if the T3's in your log are causing issues AND whether your connection is suffering overutilisation to a decent degree of certainty

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi RossMaden,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

From checking your connection, the line and hub are showing as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low, which is good. 

Did you manage to create the BQM that Kippies mentioned at all?

Are you able to complete speed tests whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected.

On the PC/laptop you are testing with does it have a gigabit LAN card and a Cat 5 e or above Ethernet cable?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos