Menu
grndlsco
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Glasgow - G64 - Peak time severe packet loss issues

We were upgraded from 150mb to 200mb in May this year. We previously had a SH1 and got given a SH3 as SH1 doesn't support 200mb, so we were told.

Forgive me as I am not 100% on networking terminologies so I'll probably use layman's terms for some things.

Ever since we were given the SH3, we've been experiencing intermittent but severe packet loss problems, mainly in the early evenings.

When we've phoned tech support, they've, on countless occasions, asked us to go through the usual restarting the modem, check all wires etc. The modem has been factory reset twice and the issue still persisted.

We have had technicians out, at which time, the issues were not occurring so the technicians couldn't identify any problems. The only problem identified was water affecting the cable from the distribution box to the house, that was completely renewed about 3 months ago.

Despite that, the issue persisted. We've had the technicians advise us that their network admins have been able to look back at the history of the connection quality to the house and were able to verify many instances as we described in the evenings where packet loss was upwards of 35%. At the time I started typing this post, it was pushing 50% loss.

Almost every time this occurs, it is between 5.30pm and 7.30pm. The last technician we had out 3 months ago said that it could be interference from another internet user who is connecting to the distribution box and the interference could be reverberating down the line from their house to the box and hitting everyone else that's connected to it.

This is where the efforts from VM appear to stop. We were told that they would be working to source the interference they suspected but we've had no update to this issue for months. The issue still persists. We understand that this is a difficult thing to identify the source of, if it is indeed the fault.

To try to rule out any coincidence with our upgrade to 200mb being the fault, we voluntarily asked for our broadband package to be downgraded to the next lowest speed in order to use the old SH1 we still had to test whether or not the packet loss issues disappeared. We reduced the package to 100mb and used the SH1 and the packet loss issues were not resolved.

Unfortunately, we're at the point now where a member of the family is moving out due to the unreliability of the internet connection. Once they have moved out we are strongly considering cancelling our subscription to VM altogether.

We've been with VM ever since the NTL era and I'm looking for some advice as to what options are left for us to try to get this resolved/escalated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Glasgow - G64 - Peak time severe packet loss issues

Hi grndlsco,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community. It's nice to have you back here.

My apologies that you are experiencing packet loss during the evenings through the both broadband speeds.

I would like to help get this sorted for you and check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

In the meantime, are you able to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor please as this will check the performance of the connection? If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
grndlsco
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

I've responded to the PM.

I've set up the monitor but there is no such option in our router settings.

We have a Superhub 3 and the options go as follows:

Advanced > Tools > Ping.

When I click on Ping it just shows a ping test window but no check box with "Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP" anywhere.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You need to turn the firewall off on the hub 3 for the BQM to work.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi grndlsco,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming your details, I appreciate it.

My apologies that I didn't mention that you had to disable the firewall on the Hub 3.0, from the last part of your post you mentioned you had the Super Hub 1 and I assumed that this was the router currently in use not the Hub 3.0. Thanks HiVMBye for jumping in.

I've checked your connection, the network segment is running stable with no issues. I am unable to see any apparent reason for the packet loss. 

When you get chance try to create the profile for the BQM, wait for it to start generating and post the link after say 24 - 48 hours for us to take a look.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
grndlsco
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I've been running the BQM.

27.10.16: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/4a168fec313736a5e48607ae76500186-27-10-2016.html

28.10.16: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/8f5fb435bb56a753201d744d136c3f4e-28-10-2016.html

29.10.16: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9558ad2b75f174dbe0ad722bb6e8acef-29-10-2016.html

30.10.16: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a2477ffd246bc5f579cd34e85ca04330-30-10-2016.html

31.10.16: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/2130e46c65da1780b4702e5dd186fc91-31-10-2016.html

Since I last left a message in this thread, we've had a technician visit the house as well. They visited on 28.10.16 and 29.10.16. On 28.10.16 they suspected that a network level fault was causing the issue as he found network engineers working at a nearby street. At the time he was not convinced that the issue the network engineers were working on was related to our fault and that he would phone me back on 31.10.16 to find out whether or not the packet loss issue was continuing (as you will see from the links, the packet loss was almost constant throughout Sunday (30th) and at completely unusable levels on Monday (31st)).

As the technician did not phone me back as promised, I phoned 150 today to find out if they had a record of the technician visiting our house on Friday and Saturday however they advised me that the technician linked our ongoing issue to the network fault that was being fixed by the other engineers and that their system considers our fault to be resolved (presumably because the issue the network engineers were working on is considered resolved). This is absolutely not the case, we are still suffering from packet loss as you will note from the above links.

I asked the girl I spoke to on the phone earlier today to get the technician to phone me to which I was told that the message would be passed onto them but that there were no records on our file from the technician indicating that they would do that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi grndlsco,

Thanks for the reply and posting your BQM graph's.

Looking at your line, the Modem SNR (signal to noise ratio) is getting lower and as there are no other issues that I can see on the network that would cause this issue, my next step would be to arrange a Principle Technician to have this check over for you. I have sent you a PM with appointment details.

I can see that the fault you mentioned has been closed down as resolved. If in the meantime you do have a call from the technician, let me know.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos