Menu
Silverberg1988
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Gaming Upgrade..?

So, i am on the 200mb broadband package (200 down/12 up). I saw that on September 1st they added a gaming tear broadband so you have no traffic management policy and get a 20mb upload speed upgrade (Gaming Upgrade announcement).

I phoned up Virgin on the release date requesting to add the upgrade to my account. I got told on the phone that everything was fine and it had been added and will be available straight away. I waited a few hours and rebooted my modem a couple of times but still hadn't received any kind of upgrade according to speed test websites. I phoned Virgin up again to check everything had gone ok to find out that nothing had been added or amended on my account but they will add the upgrade now. 

The next day i ran a speed test again, expecting to be on 20mb upload speed, but turned out i was still getting 12mb. So i phoned up Virgin again so try and find out what was happening, only to find again that nothing had been added to my account. I explained what had happened the day before and the lady said she would fix it now. After been on the phone for around 40minutes at this point because of a lot of to-ing and frow-ing to her manager, it turns out its not a simple £5 a month extra... I have to pay £14.99 for the latest superhub 3 (i have 2) and will have to ring up every 6months have a discount of £20 a month applied to my account to make the price £5 a month!

This is not the advertised procedure nor the one you'd expect to have to do. Surely it shouldn't be up to the customer to make sure their price is correct each month by having to phone up to have the discount applied. And who is to say in 6 months time that the person on the other end of the phone at Virgin Media will have a clue what I'm talking about!

I was expecting good things from the gaming upgrade, but as it stands, its a complete farce and waste of time. I am still wanting the upgrade but without the hassle of everything above!

Regards,

Clive

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Gaming Upgrade..?

I agree with the above and tested this Tier before it was launched.

Makes zero difference to actual online MP gaming as lower pings would help that far more (VM has higher pings than some ADSL).

The only way it could be targeted for gaming is the above mention of streaming to Twitch and uploading game play to YouTube etc.

The survey we all filled in at end of test asked if we would pay extra for this service and I know I and most others ticked NO.

I upgrade last week to Vivid 300 so its now 300/20 and was told there is no STM on my upload (retentions told me) but I will take that with a bucket of salt.

I have read VM want get back to the old 10/1 Ratio so hopefully it will be 200/20 and 300/30

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I'm confused where does the £20 come from?

0 Kudos
Silverberg1988
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Exactly? The service is meant to be an extra £5 a month. But they want me to ring up every 6 months to have a £20 discount applied?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

A couple of questions for you.

Why do you want the upgrade? Do you stream?

Although the bundle is advertised as a gamer bundle it should be advertised as a streamer bundle as it doesn't do anything for gamers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Silverberg1988
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

For what I use it for the extra upload speed would be a benefit. And I stream sometimes, yes
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Good Smiley Tongue just don't want people wasting money for a product advertised as a gaming addon which doesn't do anything for the average gamer (aka a non streamer)

0 Kudos
Silverberg1988
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree, the upgrade wouldn't really benefit a gamer as much as what I think they're saying
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It wouldn't benefit a gamer at all. Unless they are streaming.

If all you are doing is gaming, this 'gaming bundle' does nothing. It should be renamed a streamer bundle BUT that would encourage a larger uptake and possibly saturate the upstream causing them problems if too many streamers take advantage of it.

0 Kudos
Silverberg1988
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Was hoping a mod would of seen this by now? no contact from Virgin at all
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

one of the VM people may be able to clarify things but than again maybe not which may be why they have not commented - no idea who you have spoken to - it sounds like offshore - afaik there is a charge for the SH3 but the ringing for a discount over time does not sound right

if you still want the gamer deal then talk to retentions - they are closed tomorrow [sunday] so ring after that

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos