Menu
nallar
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

G62 Low speeds at peak times

Hi,

At peak times, latency increases and speeds seen through speedtest drop below the purchased speed.

Latency/loss to CMTS monitored over past weekLatency/loss to CMTS monitored over past week

Peak time speedtestPeak time speedtest

Normal speedtestNormal speedtest

The repetitive increases in latency and packet loss match up with the times at which headline speeds can't be achieved. It's also experienced by another customer I know who lives nearby.

Our CMTS is quite old (vendor MAC shows as Riverdelta Networks, and it only allows 12 downstream channels and 2 16QAM upstream channels). Hopefully a CMTS upgrade would resolve the problem, as I understand a node split can take quite a long time.

Modem stats are excellent - ~39dBmV upstream powers, ~3dBmV downstream powers. Downstream SNRs of ~41dB and uncorrectable error counts of 0 on all channels after nearly a week of uptime.

Thanks
Ross

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: G62 Low speeds at peak times

Hello Ross

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are noticing a drop in speed and increased latency at peak times, we can see the increase in area peak time traffic but it is not breaking our threshold for escalation at the moment although we will keep an eye on it. You are on a Motorola-BSR 64000 chassis by the way and fingers crossed we will be upgrading it soon.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Ross

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are noticing a drop in speed and increased latency at peak times, we can see the increase in area peak time traffic but it is not breaking our threshold for escalation at the moment although we will keep an eye on it. You are on a Motorola-BSR 64000 chassis by the way and fingers crossed we will be upgrading it soon.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
nallar
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your response.

It's possible I jumped the gun on this post, some congestion at peak time in the days surrounding christmas is acceptable on a home broadband product. Speeds seem to be normal again.

Still seeing latency issues due to the issue discussed in [Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause]  but that's not related to any congestion problem.

Thanks
Ross

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ross

Yes we did notice some unusual traffic patterns around the holiday period however I am pleased your speeds are back to normal and hopefully we will have a firmware update soon.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos