Menu
javz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

From 150MB to 200MB - WiFi severely dropped

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my fibre optic from 150mb to 200mb and can see a severe drop in speed on my main Windows 10 desktop machine. They also upgraded the hub to accommodate with the speed, now on Superhub 3.0

I connect wirelessly using the following device - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WDN3200.html

On 150mb I used to get download speeds of 70-90mb average. Now I'm averaging 30mb.

However, my Macbook Pro and other devices tend to get better connection, so I don't think its the connection I'm being provided, but I have read around and apparently the new Superhub has different technology and my wireless adapter might have become redundant.

Are there any recommended wireless adapters that actually work for the Superhub 3.0 for a Windows 10 machine?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
javz
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: From 150MB to 200MB - WiFi severely dropped

Hi all,

Just an update. After thoroughly researching I have ended up buying the following - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-USB-AC68-Dual-Band-Wireless-Adjustable/dp/B01GZ1XRTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

Quite pricey for what it is, but well worth the money. As previously mentioned earlier, I was only getting an average 30mb, after installing this, I'm averaging 195mb.

Highly recommend if anyone else is facing the same issue.

Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
javz
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I bought the following - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kootek-Wireless-Adapter-600Mbps-433Mbps/dp/B01M0QA1Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

It's not better, and the one you recommended, apparently they've stopped updating the drivers for that so a risk it may have the outcome as above

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I hope you wont regret spending a little more to get a 1200Mbps model

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Don't go for mini adapters either, the bigger the aerial the better reception you are likely to get.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

javz
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is the review that had me concerned, otherwise it would have been the best of the bunch -

Do not buy, it has great connection however due to there being no up to date drivers available it will often turn itself off due to crashing drivers. sometimes you need to fully restart the pc for it to even possibly work again.

0 Kudos
javz
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi all,

Just an update. After thoroughly researching I have ended up buying the following - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-USB-AC68-Dual-Band-Wireless-Adjustable/dp/B01GZ1XRTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

Quite pricey for what it is, but well worth the money. As previously mentioned earlier, I was only getting an average 30mb, after installing this, I'm averaging 195mb.

Highly recommend if anyone else is facing the same issue.

Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The maximum effective throughput due to bus constraints of USB 2,0 is 280MBit shared across all ports. If you're chewing up bandwidth with other USB connected devices at the same time that would affect the throughput of your dongle.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos