Menu
Malingo
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Feeling ripped off

£45.70  a month for just broadband (150mb)  Zone  01 Liverpool

150 mb speed (CAT6) connection attainable during the day usually first thing in the morning , but i work all day!

Come 6pm and my broadband speed is throttled down to a completely useless 2-3mb

Avid Online Gamer and  Streaming TV service user

I have an amazon fire tv box and prime subscription which has been rendered practically useless due to endless buffering and stuttering,

Spoke to a Virgin tech via phonecall and they assured me after they had done tinkering with my router i would get higher speeds in the evening , I dont!

I expect some throttling during peak hours, even 50% of what i should get would be acceptable , 2% is an utter joke ,  21st century service giving me 20th century dial up speeds , may as well be on AOL ,  

Can this be rectified? or should I move to BT/TalkTalk or even AOL!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Feeling ripped off

If you have a look around the forum, you'll see the problems in Liverpool well documented. To save you endless hours of reading (theres a LOT of posts), Ill summarise for you

• This is not throttling. This is "Overutilisation".To translate, not enough bandwidth to support local demand
  • So AT peak times when everyone else is trying to use their connection they all get S...L...O...W
  • You will be issued a fault number and will be able to claim a service credit monthly whilst the fault is open
  • Whilst VM will be working to resolve the issue, these faults remain open a long time. Think in years, not days or weeks
  • Any date you are given is a "review" date not a fix date.
  • Yes its a good time to start exploring other options. Especially if FTTC (BT Infinity for example) is available

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a look around the forum, you'll see the problems in Liverpool well documented. To save you endless hours of reading (theres a LOT of posts), Ill summarise for you

• This is not throttling. This is "Overutilisation".To translate, not enough bandwidth to support local demand
  • So AT peak times when everyone else is trying to use their connection they all get S...L...O...W
  • You will be issued a fault number and will be able to claim a service credit monthly whilst the fault is open
  • Whilst VM will be working to resolve the issue, these faults remain open a long time. Think in years, not days or weeks
  • Any date you are given is a "review" date not a fix date.
  • Yes its a good time to start exploring other options. Especially if FTTC (BT Infinity for example) is available

kevin56eb
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bought the full package, phone, broadband & TV with multi room, installed on December 2nd. Since installation only had 2 days without issues. First issue Min box kept restarting, spoke with the tech support, quite honestly bloody useless, Im not a TV service engineer but after doing numerous restarts and software upgrades it was obvious that the box was faulty, only got that confirmed when I spoke to an english speaking guy on Sat morning. Engineer due tomorrow, So with only one box usable tried to use Catchup TV didn't work error V205, again spoke to tech support on Sat morning, they left a message later in tend ay saying issue resolved, it wasn't!! Since then we've experienced numerous screen freezing and pixelation, haven't called tech support as its a waste off time, hoping engineer that visits will be able to sort it, Broadband speed os OK at 6am in the morning but by 6pm isn't ironic, we are paying for 200 MBps and getting 10Mbps during the evening, needless to say if the engineer due to visit tomorrow cant resolve the issues then we'll be in a contractual state as the service we are paying for isn't fit for purpose, so we'll be going back to good old Sky even if the broadband speed is only a 23Mbps constantly. However the phone seems to work without issues.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Malingo

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with speed. As Kippies mentioned this is not throttling, it is a capacity issue with high area peak time traffic. We are aware and would like to carry out some upgrade work, the reference is F004898570 with a review date of  08 FEB 2017. Please accept our apologies, one of the forum team will be in contact in the next few days to discuss further.

Thank you for your patience.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
cloverleaf146
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are VM unaware that Liverpool is actually quite a big place, and as such , you would expect a lot of users ? Or did that not occur to them when installing their infrastructure ? Maybe they thought Liverpool was a village with a couple of thousand inhabitants.......

3Mbs when you are paying for 150Mbs is beyond a pi55 take.

0 Kudos