Menu
Highlighted
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fastest speed on SuperHub 2?

I'm currently paying for the VIP package on 200mbps. The connection wasn't great for about 6 months but they said they were upgrading and they did - 200Mbps from there on out!

Now they've told me that my bill is about to rise by £5 - to the equivalent of the current VIP package... with 300Mbps.

So, it's seems pretty logical that I should be looking for this upgraded internet. However, most people seem to get it with the SuperHub 3, which has the gaming latency issue so I really want to avoid that until it's proven fixed.

So what speeds is the SuperHub 2 capable of? 200Mpbs doesn't seem like a realistic limit.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fastest speed on SuperHub 2?

The Hub 3.0 can use more downstream channels than the SuperHub 2, so allows for better network management for the higher speed tiers.

So VIVID 300 is only available with the Hub 3.0

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
The_Serb
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The SH2ac copes with 200mbps download speed (although I'm not currently achieving that). I reverted back to it because the SH3 is flawed the the latency issue. Above 200 and I don't think it can cope though. You'd think with all the money that VM that they could offer a better service.

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's quite amazing that they haven't had more media coverage on this and not sued. They actively sell the 300Mbps connection as broadband for gaming, but it's just not appropriate for gaming, which is just misselling.

I think I'll have to stick with what I've got until it's solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Anyone who cared about gaming would realise you only need 1-2Mbs of bandwidth to game at a high level. What’s more important is ping.

If you were in an area with no other users you could in theory get 400Mbs on the Superhub2 8x50Mbs channels. Realistically the lower amount of channels is why VM cap it to 200Mbs as with other customers you would never see that 400Mbs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos