Menu
Charbax
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Faster upload than 20mbit/s?

Hello, when can we have some faster upload speed than the 20mbit/s?

50mbit/s or 100mbit/s in upload speed would be nice.. Just saying, this is 2017, not 2009.

Can't do any serious video uploading/streaming, remote robotics, home cloud/connected NAS, remote DVR streaming, 360/4K/VR video-conferencing with only 20mbit/s. Thank you.

DOCSIS 3.1 should be here by now, nope?

The new Virgin Fibre ad is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OClC9te1Qyk but we can't be uploading any of this stuff with only 20mbit/s in upload speed.

Kick your competition goodbye by giving us 50mbit/s or 100mbit/s upload speed or even more, thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faster upload than 20mbit/s?

20mbps is the upload rate for most residential services in the UK.
If you need faster upload you might be able to get a business service that might have better uploads.
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Oh no please don't tempt them to sell faster uploads that they won't be able to supply.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Leave poor DOCSIS alone, he was never made for this Smiley Sad

Presumably they are trialing docsis3.1 in stages by now. Wouldn't expect anything upload wise to change until that's rolled out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Charbax
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

In Denmark the "old DOCSIS" can easily cope with stuff like 60mbit/s, that's what I get in Denmark, 300mbit/s download with 60mbit/s upload speed. So I think Virgin Media should have been able to supply us with 60mbit/s with the "existing DOCSIS network" even with the same Intel x86 powered modems, don't you think?

For their DOCSIS3.1 update, for which I would expect all the equipment from Huawei/Nokia/Ericsson/whoever is ready available, it would just be a marketing decision for when Virgin Media thinks they should go on the offensive instead of milking their existing plans further.

I don't know how ISPs "make bandwidth" but I would just think Virgin should bomb the cr&p out of BT/Sky and just provide 300/60mbit/s upload package now on existing DOCSIS, call it VIVID300, charge 10GBP/month more or whatever. And then get to DOCSIS3.1 as soon as possible those should as I understand it make 500/500mbit/s and 1000/1000mbit/s symmetric or 1000/500mbit/s plans possible.

Only when Virgin does that do I think it really justifies the 20 Million GBP or whatever they spent making this amazing "Virgin Fiber speed advert"
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Woo Denmark! Do love going there.

Now with Denmark the population is A LOT less dense from my experience, so there are far fewer people sharing the bandwidth. This would be why you can get offered a lot higher speeds, as there is less risk they will become contented.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Charbax
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Maybe you're right Shafreya, but I think in Denmark especially in Copenhagen with 1 Million + population, they have probably just as many subscribers per box or however it's called those things they put around the neighborhood to push over the bandwidth over DOCSIS however it's called.

My guess is that Virgin limits it at 20mbit/s because competitors are stuck there so they don't feel the need to provide more than that.

Though I would argue if Virgin Media wants to do marketing saying "we're much faster than competition" then it doesn't hold up when BT/Sky can do 19mbit/s upload and Virgin Media is at 20mbit/s. That kind of kills the whole advert.

That 90-second advert looks great and I would guess cost something like 20 Million GBP to produce, I would guess that for that same amount of money, Virgin could be supplying the whole of London with 300mbit/s download and 60mbit/s upload speed on the same DOCSIS infrastructure. And for a few hundred million GBP more, they can upgrade the equipment to DOCSIS3.1 for 500/1000mbit symetrical packages that BT/Sky will never be able to match.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Charbax wrote:

My guess is that Virgin limits it at 20mbit/s because competitors are stuck there so they don't feel the need to provide more than that.

Virgin and all the others provide a service to do one thing, make money. It doesn't matter what's possible, they just consider three things.

A) How much will it cost to roll out.

B) How much do they need to charge for it to pay back the initial cost and start making a profit in a reasonable time frame.

C) Would enough people buy it at that price. Until the answer is yes, it won't happen.

To make the sort of speeds you're talking about commonly available I bet you're talking billions, not millions.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Charbax
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

300/60mbit over same infrastructure, I think probably wouldn't cost VirginMedia anything. It's the same infrastructure. They can charge +10GBP/month for that, this should have been VIVID300 by now.

If VM is spending several hundred million GBP making and airing this "We're the fastest" ads with Usain Bolt and with the Turtle Ninjas and whatever they are doing for their latest very expensive ads, they need to follow up with faster upload speeds, otherwise the ad is just wrong and that wouldn't look good.

BT/Sky is at 19mbit/s upload, so Virgin media cannot be at only 20mbit/s upload and then go around claiming to be so much faster. Being 6% faster does not warrant such ad Usain Bolt and co. VM need to speed up their VIVID300 upload speed now to 60mbit/s in a VIVID300 pack that they need to make available to everybody.

Then they need to make VIVID500/500 and VIVID1000/1000 available to as many users as soon as possible. Only then the advertising campaign makes sense.

And VM would be making more money by doing it. Millions of UK users would get off BT/Sky and onto VM, what else do they need?
0 Kudos
TheChairman
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think they should concentrate on sorting out the congestion people suffer from first.

Some people have been waiting for two years or more to get the issue sorted. Virgin were lucky that the new automatic compensation scheme doesn't cover sub standard connections. If it had they would have a little problem to deal with.