Menu
russfee7
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

FIBRE BROADBAND SPEED

Hi all,

Got connected to Virgin at the weekend on the "full house package" with the 200mb/s broadband connection.  When I signed up I was quoted an average speed of 186mb/s but every time I try a speed test, either wirelessly or via a direct ethernet link to the router, the best speed I've had is between 89-93mb/s, (so roughly half of what I was quoted at sign up!)

Anybody else in my area (Alvaston/Derby) have a similar issue?

Any hints or tips to resolve?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: FIBRE BROADBAND SPEED

Hi russfee7,

Welcome to Virgin Media and also to our Community, glad you found us Smiley Happy

I have tested your connection from here and can see no fault that would cause you get reduced speeds. 

I suspect that you may need to look more closely at your hardware. For speeds in excess of 100mb you'll need to have a gigabit NIC (for wired devices) with a Cat6 or Cat5e Ethernet cable. If your current Network Interface Card is 100mb then you'll get approximately the speeds that you are reporting on here.

Likewise for wireless - WLAN should be 'N' OR 'AC' standard multi stream. 
If your hardware is a tad outdated then you'll be unlikely to reach the subscribed speeds. Your options would then be to 1. upgrade you hardware or 2. reduce your broadband package to a speed that your devices can comfortably handle.

If you discover that your devices are already up-to-date then please post on here and we'll investigate further Smiley Happy 

Jen
Forum Team