Menu
Wonfor
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

FED UP VIRGIN CUSTOMER

I would just like to say how utterly disgusted I am with Virgin media and their "internet" service. I was originally on a lower Meg service but as I have 2 teenage sons who are avid gamers, I found they were often moaning about "lag" or buffering. So I decided to pay a little more and move up to your Vivid 200mb. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE!!! I have had poor service from this since I switched and EVERY time I phone and complain, I am fed the same poor sorry excuse........."sorry, it's down to high utilisation in your area and we are working on it". This excuse has been given to me for nearly a year now and I am utterly sick of it!!! Not only will I be leaving but I will also taking the 4 mobile phone accounts that I have with you too unless this is sorted RIGHT AWAY!!

ENOUGH OF THE EXCUSES!! You still want to take nearly £50 from me every month but apart from a £50 goodwill refund ages ago, I'm still spending nearly £600 a year on VERY POOR QUALITY BROADBAND!! It's not good enough.

Why does my friend who lives literally 2 streets away from me get such a good signal?

I have now made a catalogue of screenshots showing speed tests as proof and will be cancelling my direct debit with immediate effect unless this is sorted straight away.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: FED UP VIRGIN CUSTOMER

Sounds like you are in an area suffering from overutilisation.

If that's the case, you can claim a service credit once staff on here have picked it up and given you a fault reference. Thats the good (ish) news.

Now the less good news. Overutilisation faults take AGES to get sorted, some have been going on for 2 years. So your options are stay and get teh service credit, or leave by phoning in and cancelling your services in the normal manner.

Just stopping the DD will just land you in the world of debt collections and credit score problems, which is best avoided in my experience.

0 Kudos
Wonfor
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I totally understand where you're coming from. I just think it's disgusting for such a huge company (and I'm certainly not the only one if Google is anything to go by) Why can this not be sorted? Or at least offer a cheaper rate for bad quality Internet. I wouldn't mind but the last time I phoned and complained, the customer service rep might as well have said "get **bleep**, there's nothing you can do!". They basically have you by the nuts once you're in. My cousin lives about 10 miles away from me and sent me a screenshot of her internet speed with Virgin (to wind me up I think!) and it was over 300mb!

When I complained, I was told "well we HAVE given you a £50 goodwill refund". Yes, but you seem to still take just under £50 a month for sub standard Internet. I regularly get 20-30mb. Sometimes I don't even get 1mb!!! With two extreme gamers in the house, just trying to look at my emails is like going back 15 years to having dial up!!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TBH its an industry that needs better regulation. Not just VM, all the major providers. "Headline" speeds are a nonsense if your stuck (in VM's case) in an area with overutilisation , or in (the rests case) 10 yards too far from the exchange.

VM complicate the issue- you dont tend to get the same fluctuations on an FTTC line form BT etc, it works or it doesn't.  With VM you can be fast as you like 80% of the time and its the 20% you actually want to use it, its slower than a slow thing.On a slow day. Yet OFCOM allow it because its headline speed or thereabouts 80% of the time. 200Mbps at 3am. Useful.

As above, staff will be along to give you a fault number and you can claim service credit. However that's likely to be small beer when you have two teenagers bending your ear about rubber banding...

Might be time to look elsewhere.

Dont get me wrong. Ive the luxury of my area having no such issues, the service is great. Ive had 3 or 4 friends connect and the same- no hassles at all. So to me, VM are a great bunch of guys (and gals). But that doesn't help sort your problem out....and I empathise with people in a situation like yours. Which is why I try to give an honest answer on here.  If its definitely overutilisation, you'll save yourself a world of hurt looking at alternatives.

0 Kudos
Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Problem for me and probably some others is VM have the monopoly in this area. No plans for BT Fibre and been told January 23rd is the fix date - Originally it was 7th November, as for discount - they told me I had one then didnt apply it. Classy.

Sorry to jump in on your thread BTW but I am sick of this - my 150mb service worked fine.....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kizza-1974 wrote:

Problem for me and probably some others is VM have the monopoly in this area. No plans for BT Fibre and been told January 23rd is the fix date - Originally it was 7th November, as for discount - they told me I had one then didnt apply it. Classy.

Sorry to jump in on your thread BTW but I am sick of this - my 150mb service worked fine.....

Ive seen your threads Kizza and I feel your pain. The only thing i would point out is VM have an entirely built from the profits of their business "monopoly" by virtue of the fact BT have not bothered their backside- whereas BT et all via Openreach are subsidised by the taxpayer to a huge extent and SHOULD provide an alternative.

How many oversubscribed areas are in the same boat as yourself? Yes there are a few where BT have got their finger out and provided a decent service (at your and my expense) but many of the areas with the issue are simply because VM are the only provider giving decent "headline speeds"My area has a choice so the market shakes itself out I reckon. If VM take on too many customers, speeds suffer, people go over to BT Infinity. Overutilisation falls off again. Speeds improve.

Yes VM should be exploiting that and investing more in those areas. But especially now with the pound dropping like a stone, there's very little incentive for an American conglomerate to invest MORE.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wonfor,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your connection and the high peak time traffic fault that was in your area has been closed down as resolved.

Have you noticed an improvement with the speeds/lagging/buffering at all?

Are you able to complete speed tests through a wired connection at different times of the day please so we can see if there is a difference? You can also create a Broadband Quality Monitor, as this will check the performance of the connection. If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos