Menu
Richard520
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

FALSE BROADBAND SPEED CLAIMS

Hi,

I subscribe to the fibre 200Mbps virgin service - I have done for years. Today, when I became fed up with slow internet speeds, I ran tests with several broadband speed checkers. Four reported my download speed as being about 50 to 80 Mbps, not the 200 I thought I subscribed to.

I telephoned virgin support; the foreign chap explained that the ONLY test that was 'supported' by virgin was the one at testmy.net. He remoted onto my PC, ran the test and told me how good my results were (approaching 200 Mbps). I asked why the other tests had all said my download speed was around 70 Mbps. He told me he couldn't say, but that I could see the 'real' result now.

I Googled the issue: apparently the test provider used by virgin is 'Ookla', one designed to make internet service providers look good by 'multithreading' their test connections. It's results are not representative of the actual download speed an ordinary user gets. I ran more tests and got 50Mbps.

This is blatantly a misrepresentation. I logged-in to my virgin account to find there is no email address for complaints. There is a snail-mail address, and an undertaking to get back to you in 28 DAYS!!

I am publishing this in the hope that someone has an e-mail address that I can complain to, and to alert others to this offensive practice. I am going to speak to Trading Standards and the Ombudsman, although it appears only Virgin Mobile is signed up to abide by the Ombudsman's rulings. Once resolved I'm off to Sky.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: FALSE BROADBAND SPEED CLAIMS

To be honest I think their legal 'get-out' will be ...'speeds UP TO xMbps' ....  ..ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
elfin101
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Think yourself lucky, I'm currently only getting around 10 from my 200 service.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

hiya @Richard520 speed testing can be tricky best to create multi treads downloads to see what you get.. possible from large bandwidth site just as microsoft or similar, also to check are you using wired/wireless?

also best to run a check on the the signal levels if you can goto http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if can copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log & operational config here.. dont worry about the formatting we can easily read it.

yeah your correct their isn't a email address for virginmedia since it was bombarded with general queries rather than complaints so get shut down awhile ago, there is the phone system to talk to somebody about it..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Richard520 wrote:

Hi,

I subscribe to the fibre 200Mbps virgin service - I have done for years. Today, when I became fed up with slow internet speeds, I ran tests with several broadband speed checkers. Four reported my download speed as being about 50 to 80 Mbps, not the 200 I thought I subscribed to.

I telephoned virgin support; the foreign chap explained that the ONLY test that was 'supported' by virgin was the one at testmy.net. He remoted onto my PC, ran the test and told me how good my results were (approaching 200 Mbps). I asked why the other tests had all said my download speed was around 70 Mbps. He told me he couldn't say, but that I could see the 'real' result now.

I Googled the issue: apparently the test provider used by virgin is 'Ookla', one designed to make internet service providers look good by 'multithreading' their test connections. It's results are not representative of the actual download speed an ordinary user gets. I ran more tests and got 50Mbps.

This is blatantly a misrepresentation. I logged-in to my virgin account to find there is no email address for complaints. There is a snail-mail address, and an undertaking to get back to you in 28 DAYS!!

I am publishing this in the hope that someone has an e-mail address that I can complain to, and to alert others to this offensive practice. I am going to speak to Trading Standards and the Ombudsman, although it appears only Virgin Mobile is signed up to abide by the Ombudsman's rulings. Once resolved I'm off to Sky.

I wasn't aware that VM "supported" any speed test.  Plus I wouldn't trust anything that the offshore agents insist upon.

When I tried TESTMY.NET, the default server was Dalls, USA; the download test showed 70 meg.  When I swityched server to London, it went to 222 meg.  Maybe the offshore person was using the default server.  You have any records from the speed test?

I'd like to comment on a misapprehension that I think you have relating to multi-threaded tests.  A speed test will not be meaningful to the user if it is not multi-threaded.  Very few individual 'other ends' will deliver at 200 meg so it needs to be multi-threaded to stand any chance of testing a fast connection.  The download speed that the 'ordinary user' gets is governed by two things:

1.  The state of the broadband circuit, whether impairment or congestion;

2.  the sending end's rate limit if any (usually set to well below 200 meg).

So maybe you'll look again at your charge of misrepresentation.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Richard520
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't aware that VM "supported" any speed testNone the less, it is what Virgin support said. 

Plus I wouldn't trust anything that the offshore agents insist upon. I don't have a high opinion of Virgin support either.

When I tried TESTMY.NET, the default server was Dalls, USA; the download test showed 70 meg.  When I swityched server to London, it went to 222 meg.  Maybe the offshore person was using the default server.  You have any records from the speed test? I have my copy of the results page.

I'd like to comment on a misapprehension that I think you have relating to multi-threaded tests. I am not under a misapprehension. The advertised speeds are not achieved. Thousands of other consumers complain about this, too. I checked the download speeds repeatedly using many test sites - all reported download speeds that are a fraction of the '200 Mbps' that I pay for.

A speed test will not be meaningful to the user if it is not multi-threaded. Very few individual 'other ends' will deliver at 200 meg so it needs to be multi-threaded to stand any chance of testing a fast connection. I understand; that was why I went to so many test sites. If their results varied wildly I'd buy this excuse, but they don't. Further, when I ran the test again at testmy.net, it reported as low as 20.3 Mbps. I used the HTML5 test, which I understand is the most reliable - again, it was in the 30 to 50 Mbps range.

The download speed that the 'ordinary user' gets is governed by two things:

1.  The state of the broadband circuit, whether impairment or congestion; Virgin support didn't claim the circuit was congested. He did suggest the latest router might improve things, but when I questioned this he agreed it could only impact my wireless speeds - my connection is wired.

2.  the sending end's rate limit if any (usually set to well below 200 meg). Some, yes; not all.

So maybe you'll look again at your charge of misrepresentation. I have. It stands.

0 Kudos
lordsmorg
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I get 180-190mb when my service is working normally, so its not misrepresented 

0 Kudos
compman
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I came across this thread while waiting for either the 7th or 8th engineer visit, not including an AFM visit twice and a network engineer and four hubs later.  All have been told to say Ookla is the only test they use and the AFM admitted it is not accurate and that the 30/40Mb connection I have on 200Mb is wrong after trying to convince me it was all working.  I have been trying to sort this for 4 months, I have been refunded on my account for all the aggrevation and slow broadband and yet every time I call they say all is OK.

Yes Virgin Media do Lie and do not seem to want to tackle the sticky issue of a CMTS server upgrade but finally after being talked down to on my last 2 hour call the 5th person on that call advised I "do not let the engineer leave" if I am not happy.  A ridiculous statement to make which eventually was changed to don't sign any paperwork if your not happy.

God knows what you have to do to sort out issues with Virgin these days, I am at my wits end and I am now invoicing for my time.

I will let you know what happens here today !

0 Kudos
compman
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Update -

Still nor repair but, the engineer who came today I have seen many times before and I know consider a friend, he said Arris (the company looking after the network) have started work on the Head End in my area so I may have broadband back as it was by mid September.

This is not Official but it is something and it is information.

All I've wanted is Virgin to let me know what is happening, I'm getting there but no cigar yet !

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

bit strange he/she saying that, since Arris is used for the CMTS that is on the headend, possible might have official staff from Arris working on it
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos