Menu
higgic01
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

F003455769 - Area 03 - Over Utilisation

My area has been suffering with slow evening broadband speeds (1.5 Mbps between 6pm and midnight) due to over utilisation for at least 12 months under the above fault code. The 'review' date for this fault has unsurprisingly just been pushed back once again from 18/1/17 to 3/5/17.

Please can Virgin provide detailed answers on why this specific fault is taking so long to fix, What exactly is the company doing to fix it and why the company is continuing to sign up new customers to a heavily over subscribed area?

From reading the forums this over utilisation problem seems to be growing and growing across the country, please can we just get some real answers?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: F003455769 - Area 03 - Over Utilisation

Hey higgic01,

Thanks for joining the community, you're very welcome Smiley Very Happy

I am sorry for the problems in your area, I know this can be really inconvenient and frustrating.

These fault can take a while to resolve due to the complexity of the work required. Often we need to gain permission from local councils etc before we can even begin work to resolve the fault.

Additionally these faults require a monitoring period, so after we apply additional downstreams, we monitor to see how the network responds and then decide to add more or close the fault as resolved.

I'm sorry I can't be anymore specific, please keep in touch so we can provide an update on or after the review.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
higgic01
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the reply. Is there anyone I can contact for more detailed answers to my questions please? I appreciate the complexity but I still don't feel that Virgin are providing clear enough answers.

Specifically I would like to know:

1) What exactly is Virgin doing in my area to sort this issue (i.e. what discussions are being held with the council, are new cables/equipment actually being installed etc)?

2) Why have we been waiting at least 12 months for this work to take place?

Most importantly, 3) Why are new customers being constantly signed up to an over-subscribed area? Surely it would make sense to suspend new sign-ups until this issue is sorted?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am also in area 03. Although I get 40-50mbps in the daytime (as I should) it goes down to a crawl (about 4 or 5 mbps usually) every evening. - and that has been the situation for weeks now.

How can that be acceptable? It is not sufficient to say we have to put up with that at peak times - something should be done about it if you can't cope with the number of users. If you can't offer any hope of capacity ever increasing then what is the point of using your failing service?

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Heather_J wrote:

Hey higgic01,

I am sorry for the problems in your area, I know this can be really inconvenient and frustrating.

These fault can take a while to resolve due to the complexity of the work required. Often we need to gain permission from local councils etc before we can even begin work to resolve the fault.

Additionally these faults require a monitoring period, so after we apply additional downstreams, we monitor to see how the network responds and then decide to add more or close the fault as resolved.

I'm sorry I can't be anymore specific, please keep in touch so we can provide an update on or after the review.

Take care.

Hohohoho, it does not take over 1 year to get the go ahead from councils, trust me. That is one big pork pie, it might take VM that long to review the request that goes to the council, but boy o boy what a whopper.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

higgic01 wrote:

My area has been suffering with slow evening broadband speeds (1.5 Mbps between 6pm and midnight) due to over utilisation for at least 12 months under the above fault code. The 'review' date for this fault has unsurprisingly just been pushed back once again from 18/1/17 to 3/5/17.

Please can Virgin provide detailed answers on why this specific fault is taking so long to fix, What exactly is the company doing to fix it and why the company is continuing to sign up new customers to a heavily over subscribed area?

From reading the forums this over utilisation problem seems to be growing and growing across the country, please can we just get some real answers?

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Before putting in a formal complaint, I want someone from the Forum Team to give a proper answer here (not the inadequate response given so far, which explains nothing). But if no-one can be bothered to sort it out then I will make a complaint (or more likely give up on Virgin altogether and switch to a provider that can give reasonable speeds).

Everything grinds to a halt every evening and it takes ages to do anything. I am sick of it, and there is no excuse for it.

0 Kudos
maxmarutti
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Heather_J wrote:

Hey higgic01,

Take care.

Ok what about customers bill adjustment ?!

@thinkbroadband
0 Kudos
Parazaine
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm also in Area 3 and also having the same issues. I pay for 200 cable (which is not cheap) and until today, was unaware that there was an official fault logged for over-utilisation. The symptoms are obvious and the cause is also obvious by the symptoms. Peak-time poor speeds and reliability. I could live with lower speeds but browsing become slow, streaming becomes slow and patchy and gaming becomes intermittent with (recently) frequent connection drop-outs (i have a powerline so wireless is not a problem)

To be honest i'm actually disgusted that Virgin (as is usual) keeps all this information as hush-hush as they can to avoid paying out compensation to existing customers whilst actively advertising for more customers for their already overstretched infrastructure an denying there is a problem or their favourite 'utilisation has not hit high enough levels to action our engineers' or however they phrase it. I make no excuses for being a high-usage customer ... its what i pay them for but it seems that i get barely the same as their other users.

There are usually more than one reported fault in my area, obviously all having their root causes in the same issue, over-utilisation and poor infrastructure but whilst they can get away with duping the 'casual' user into 200 meg packages they really dont need, overall network usage will, of course, go through the roof. When those casual users suddenly have trouble browsing or watching catch-up TV in big enough numbers, perhaps we will see some action.

Anyway, sorry to rant was initially just going to confirm the same symptoms as the OP

mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

higgic01 wrote:

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the reply. Is there anyone I can contact for more detailed answers to my questions please? I appreciate the complexity but I still don't feel that Virgin are providing clear enough answers.

Specifically I would like to know:

1) What exactly is Virgin doing in my area to sort this issue (i.e. what discussions are being held with the council, are new cables/equipment actually being installed etc)?

2) Why have we been waiting at least 12 months for this work to take place?

Most importantly, 3) Why are new customers being constantly signed up to an over-subscribed area? Surely it would make sense to suspend new sign-ups until this issue is sorted?

Many thanks.

Why has there been no answer from the Forum Team to the above, very reasonable questions? Does anybody at Virgin care that so many of its customers are getting painfully slow speeds at the evening peaks?  It's happening in many areas, not just Area 03 - and still there is no information. It is totally unacceptable

0 Kudos