Menu
Lamprey2603
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Extremely variable download speeds in area 25 (Rumney, Cardiff)

I have only been with Virgin Broadband (Vivid 100) since early December 2016 and use Ookla Speedtest to check my network connection speeds. I have experienced extremely variable download speeds that vary from a Max of 104 megabit (Mb) to a Min of 16Mb. My average download speed in the past month is 56Mb which is far from that expected. Tests conducted within seconds of each other often show download speeds that vary wildly which should eliminate user congestion as the reason. Upload speeds are stable and consistent at about 6Mb.

Can anyone suggest a reason for the above results please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely variable download speeds in area 25 (Rumney, Cardiff)

How are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

If wireless, try wired directly to the hub with a Ethernet cable

0 Kudos
Lamprey2603
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Griffin - thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I can't try connecting via Ethernet as I only use an iPad at home. My iPad is the only device in the household and so won't be sharing the wi-if with any other devices.

I can see that wireless might be slower than wired via Ethernet (but even using wi-fi I sometimes get speeds in excess of 100 Mb). I can't understand why it wouldn't it be consistently slower and not fast - slow - fast - slow as I am getting now - or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
al67
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

For what it's worth, the Flash update a couple of weeks ago (version 24.0.0.186) completely broke speedtest.net for a lot of people, including me. The test is extremely slow to start, and then the speed updates are really jerky and end with a random speed on download. Upload speeds seem to be unaffected though.

You might like to try http://beta.speedtest.net/ - I uses HTML5 instead of Flash. It gives a much more consistent download speed for me. Still not as high as it used to be, could be the speed test, could be that I've got slower speeds, who knows.

(Back in the day, we just used to download huge game demo files from a VM mirror and get a realistic speed, but don't know if that's still available)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Without testing wired, the problem is going to be hard to diagnose properly as we have no idea if it is a XM WAN problem or purely a wifi problem.

Posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

On the wireless side, what iPad are you using?  What Hub have you got? Are you usng the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands?

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. I would bear in mind that wireless scanners will not pick up interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

0 Kudos
Lamprey2603
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Al67 and Griffin,

Thanks guys for your very comprehensive replies - I didn't realise the full implications of my simple (or so I thought) question. Your advice is greatly appreciated and gives me much food for thought and plenty of checks that I can make.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
al67
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

al67 wrote:

For what it's worth, the Flash update a couple of weeks ago (version 24.0.0.186) completely broke speedtest.net for a lot of people, including me. The test is extremely slow to start, and then the speed updates are really jerky and end with a random speed on download. Upload speeds seem to be unaffected though.

Flash Player version 20.0.0.194 fixes the speedtest.net problem for me. Which is nice.

0 Kudos
The_Serb
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure how you are getting on now but there is an over utilisation issue in Cardiff. I found out recently. I am paying for the Vivid 200 service and can only get around 40mbps on wifi or 80 wired.  The technicians told me that they have to upgrade the network in Whitchurch. VM deny there is an issue though. So basically they are selling a service that they cannot provide. It is a con.

0 Kudos
Lamprey2603
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm on Vivid 100 and am lucky to get 50 and sometimes as low as 10. Won't be renewing with Virgin at these speeds!!

0 Kudos