Menu
Josh12345
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Extremely slow speeds during peak times this week.

Since Wednesday 01/03 my internet connection during peak times has been of dreadful speeds. Sometimes barely going over 1mbps. When usually we recieve atleast 15-20mbps out of the usually 50mbps. I have checked for people downloading and nothing has changed all week. If this is virgin media throttling then its appalling to see these speeds. Previous to this week, the speeds i was getting in the evenings was fine.

It would be great if we could get to the bottom of these issues.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely slow speeds during peak times this week.

Virgin Media don't do throttling unless you have uploaded a large amount of data over a short period of time (as per their traffic management policy).  However, this will then revert back to normal speeds when you usage drops.

I am guessing that the problem you are experiencing though is due to over subscription in your area and is probably awaiting an upgrade by Virgin Media.  You can check this by checking the 'Service Status' link when you login to your Virgin Media online account.

Please can you check this and report back with your findings.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Josh12345
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have been checking this throughout the week and it has not once displayed any issues and does not now either. I am using a wired connection by the way.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The best thing you can do is disconnect everything (wired and wireless) from your Superhub and just connect a single device (wired).  Then run a speed test on www.speedtest.net and report back the results.

This will rule out other equipment on your home network utilising the bandwidth.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Josh12345
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi I just did this with 1 device wired and the connection was the same speeds.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If there were no active wireless connections at the same time then this would certainly indicate some sort of fault or oversubscribed issue in your area.  This would need to be reported to Virgin Media.  They will be able to advise whether the issue is with your connection or an issue in your local area.

They will be closed now but give them a call in the morning and someone should be able to help you.  Alternatively you can contact them via Live Chat again tomorrow when they reopen.

Please reply back and keep us updated on how you get on.

-

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh12345,

Thanks for posting back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

My apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during peak hours.

I've managed to locate your account and it appears you are being affected by a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F005144936 and has a review date of 12th April.

To discuss this further I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Josh12345
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

From what i know, "Review Dates" means i will have these issues almost definitely persist until said date and most likely beyond the 12th April. It is a real shame as for most of the year the service has been very consistent. Only recently has it faltered. 

0 Kudos
Josh12345
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

2 WEEKS LATER

SAME ISSUE

I'm fed up of hearing review dates and want this fixed. Every evening for two weeks. What the hell am i paying for?

0 Kudos
BigManA
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's a little unusual that you have started to experienced these issues, by looking at your post I presume speeds were fine during peak hours before your stated date?

Have you noticed a change in IP? My over utilisation problem has been recently somewhat resolved after I had a change of IP and was apparently moved to another server. Sounds like this may have happened to you but instead has resulted in your broadband speed going through the ground?
It took a year and five months for me to get my speeds back from over utilisation!
0 Kudos