Menu
DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Extremely slow speed at night - been going on for months (area 14)

I had Virgin Media installed in January. TBH - it would be a brilliant service, if it worked.

During the daytime I don't have much issue - regularly over 25 Mbps. But in the evening (and also at weekends) it is absolutely terrible. More often than not it is less than 5 Mbps and other time (like tonight) it has been less than 1 Mbps. Actually, tonight I got the worst ever speedtest at 0.32 Mbps!! Perhaps I should mention that I am paying for a 50 Mbps service now - chance would be a fine thing...

I used to hate my old Broadband provider, partly due to the poor speed (2.5 Mbps) but mostly their awful customer service. Virgin do seem a bit more approachable but the product I am paying for is AWFUL. It is just not reliable. My old provider was bad but at least the service I got from them was consistent and I never had to keep rebooting my router in an attempt to improve my connection speed! 

I've seen many discussions on the internet about my Virgin area (14) having issues. I've been informed by Virgin that this relates in no way to any technical issues I might encounter; it is purely a billing area. Having said that, a few friends of mine who live close by appear to suffer from exactly the same symptoms as myself at evenings & weekends.

I've certainly not been happy with the service since I've had it installed - copper broadband was far more reliable. I doubt very much I'll be renewing my contract at this rate unless something drastic happens.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely slow speed at night - been going on for months (area 14)

Here's a speedtest from a few seconds ago over a WIRED connection..

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Emmarich81
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

We're in area 14 and have the same problem, just managed to get through to the call centre who said that there is a known issue of "vibration on the line" causing intermittent faults. He said it should be sorted in the next few days, not much use really! :/
0 Kudos
DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

What utter rubbish you've been told there!

This has been going on for months. It's a wide spread issue and I doubt it's going to be fixed in the next couple of days.

Being fobbed off as usual ..

0 Kudos
DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

If somebody on here could please test my connection tonight between 8-11pm I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi DonnyDriver

Thanks for posting on the community.

Many apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can look further into this.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi DonnyDriver

Thanks for the reply and confirming your details, I appreciate it.

I've taken a look at your connection and there's a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003746202 and with a review date of 7th September.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for getting in touch. I did managed to speak to someone at Virgin Media the other day and they confirmed that I am suffering from the fault reference you have quoted above.

However, they told me it would be FIXED by the 3rd August. Now you are saying it will be REVIEWED on the 7th September.

When they told me the fault would be fixed on the 3rd August I did question the probability of that happening as this fault reference has been open since the middle of 2015. When you also factor in the examples all over this forum of customer's fault fix dates being constantly being pushed back then this was never likely to happen on the 3rd August.

In the end I was given a full credit for every month I've had Virgin Media so far, because I pointed out that not only have I not had a proper service since it was installed but it was also sold to me when Virgin Media knew all along that they could not provide me with that service when I signed the contract. This fault has been in existence for over a year and I was therefore mis-sold the contract.

I will now be claiming a full credit for every month that this fault is on-going.

When is the true FIX date for this fault please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

"When is the true FIX date for this fault please?"

You won't be told. At the next review date it will either get pushed back again or fixed.

That's the thing with Virgin, they treat their customers like mushrooms.

Don't hold your breath.

DonnyDriver
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Just an update to this thread. I've now been told my fault wont be fixed until 18th January 2017 (doubt it will though).
0 Kudos