Menu
zoebee
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Extremely slow speed - WS10, area 04

Hi guys

I can pretty much guess what the answer to this post is going to be, but on the off chance there is something wrong with my equipment, here goes...

Currently paying for 100mb broadband, but had nothing but issues with it since March when it just wouldn't keep connected to my macbook. In the end gave in and purchased my own router and set up the superhub as a modem. Seemed to work great for a few months, definitely not as fast during peak hours but it wasn't *too* bad.

Problem is now for the last couple of months I've noticed the speeds dropping lower and lower until it's reached the point where it's just unbearable. Can't watch youtube without it buffering, nevermind netflix! Tivo box is extremely slow and keeps freezing too, frustrating my husband when he's paid for pay-per-view events.

I've currently got my ethernet cable plugged in, so will post some screenshots.

I actually tested it around 2am Sunday morning and although still nowhere near the 100mb, I got around 50mb on the speed test and that was via wifi so I can only conclude that you can't fulfil the 100mb speeds at peak times... I accept that there may be a slight drop but to not even be getting 10% of the speed I'm paying for during evenings and weekends is beyond ridiculous considering our package costs £113 a month.

downstream.jpg

upstream.jpg

network log.jpg 

speed.jpg

Edit: forgot to post the following screen shot too... Been having this for the last week or so too! Resetting equipment does nothing.

service status.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely slow speed - WS10, area 04

You really need to test the speeds with a wired connection as wireless is affected by a myriad of influences that make it unreliable for testing the true speed of your internet connection.

If you are getting headline wired speeds during off peak times like 2am on a Sunday morning, and poor wired speeds during evening peak period, then it does look like a contention issue wher VM have oversubscribed their services.

I would bear in mind you will need multistream (MIMO) capable wireless devices to get speeds of 100Mbps wirelessly.

0 Kudos
zoebee
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your reply; sorry if I didn't make it clear but the screenshots above are from a wired connection about half an hour ago (9pm) and I also tested the speed at 2am Sunday both wired and via wifi (wired was almost 80mb and wireless was around 50mb). Should have made that clearer, sorry!

I am actually fine with not getting 100mb via a wireless connection, but what I'm not fine with is the speeds I'm getting at peak hours even via a wired connection.

We used to be with Sky but came to Virgin solely for their 'superfast' broadband, but I used to get higher speeds on my Sky fibre connection which was a max 40mb one. Definitely going to have a look at my paperwork to see when we are out of contract as it can't be far off, paying a ridiculous amount of money for shocking service.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for making it a bit clearer.

The big drop in speed during peak hours does look like a contention issue. A VM Forum Team member should pick up the thread in a bout a week and can confirm if this is the case.

If it is a confirmed utilisation VM should give you a Fault Reference no., so you can get a partial refund. They should also give you a "Review" date which should not be confused with a fix date. These issues can take a very long time to fix and several "Review" dates can pass before the problem is actually fixed.

You have then got two options, tough it out with a reduced bill, or look for another ISP. You can always look at returning to VM after the problem has been fixed.

0 Kudos
zoebee
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi griffin

Thanks for your reply again, it seems as though you're confirming my fears sadly.

Looks like we'll be looking to move back to Sky in the very near future as a partial refund isn't of any use to me, I just want my internet to work! At this moment in time I'd be happy to go down to a 50mb connection if it was working.

I suspect husband will be pleased as he doesn't rate virgin at all compared to sky (prefers sky+ box to tivo, as tivo is *very* slow) and he can record pay-per-view events on sky to rewatch (big boxing fan).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Morning zoebee,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. 

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004087430 and has a review date of 18th January 2017.

I will pass this across to one of my colleagues who will be in touch with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
zoebee
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sam - look forward to hearing from someone. 

Kind regards,

Zoe

0 Kudos
zoebee
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

Still awaiting someone to get in touch re: above... I'm experiencing absolutely appalling speeds again, struggling to even load these webpages at the moment, nevermind watch YouTube/Netflix... I'm really not happy about this.

Any idea as to when someone will be in touch?

Zoe
0 Kudos
hassell82
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm this issue. I've been paying for 200mb and quite frankly getting sick of having to phone about this and being told a date for a fix that is constantly put back. I first called regarding this issue back in February 2016, called them a couple.of weeks ago again and was told the fix is set for 11th January, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm in the process at looking for another provider, I'm paying for 4K streaming services and 99% of the time my internet speed cannot handle 4K quality.

Surely this issue as it has gone on for so long would class as Virgin not fulfilling their contract so any cancellation charges should not apply.

It's a shame as I've always been with virgin, have been for about the last 10 years but the constant pure customer service and the apparently lack of urgency to sort this problem out has definitely got me looking elsewhere. The only reason I hadn't looked at going elsewhere in the last is because fibre wasn't available for BT in my area, it is now so that made my mind up.
0 Kudos