Menu
robers7
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Extremely low d/l speed on 200mb Gamer Package

I'm on 200mb Gamer package and am getting this speedtest.net result. High performance PC with Gigabit LAN is connected directly to the Hub 3 using 2 meter gigabit ethernet cable. No wireless. nothing in between.

11mb/s download is far removed from the 200mb promised.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
robers7
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely low d/l speed on 200mb Gamer Package

I just re-ran Speedtest and now I get 1.57mb down (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5808955436). Clearly something amiss.

No other traffic at all.
0 Kudos
robers7
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So I called Virgin Media since the download speed has maintained sub-10mb levels with only one PC connected to the Hub 3. Apparently there's a "fault in the area" (PO15) "continuing between now and January 11th" (!!!)

When I enquired about compensation I was assured I "will be compensated automatically through billing".

Remains to be seen. At 10mb I'm getting only 5% of what I pay for.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The compensation (was) a fixed amount of £12.50 a month; its fairly proportional to them as your internet will be fine between midnight and ~3pm (granted not when you want to use it most likely, but it's a 24 hot service).

Now the bad bit. It won't be fixed in January, January is just a review date despite every promise they could/have given you over the phone, that is just their scripts tell them that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

robers7
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tonight my 200 Gamer package is running at 12mb down and 19mb up via ethernet after router reset (was worse before router reset). Even had a 230ms ping between Hampshire and London.

The fluctuation by time-of-day points to contention problems in the local area. I understand their tactics to keep subscribers "hanging-on" while they apparently seek to resolve the issue but I will not pay premium price for inferior service. I called and lowered the package to minimum which more closely reflects the performance.

I also have BT Infinity and while the maximum speed I can get is 70mb it is consistent with no noticeable contention.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi robers7,

Really sorry for the slow speeds fault currently affecting you. A network upgrade is planned which will increase capacity thereby easing the current congestion. The review date is set for 11-01-2016 - at this time the necessary pre-upgrade work will be checked and, if it's complete, a rather more solid EFT (for the actual upgrade) will be provided. If not complete a new review date will be given.

As per Shafreya's advice, you are eligible for a monthly credit until the upgrade is complete. I've passed your details on to another team who will provide updates and outline your credit options (they'll reach you in a few days) but please let us know if you have any other issues/problems that we can help with in the meantime.

Kind wishes,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos