Menu
mattyduk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Extremely Slow evening internet - RG22

Hi,

this has been going on for a while but it's got worse over the last month.

I'm on 50mb BB, and it's fine first thing in the morning, and by fine, I mean it's around 20mb. This is ok for me as all I want the broadband for is email, web and Iplayer HD/Netflix streaming. However as soon as it get's nearer to 7pm, I'm getting consistant poor speeds down to 2mb - which as you will appreciate makes it difficult to stream in HD - I can probably park the idea of getting a 4K TV until this is fixed.

This has been measured both on the speedtest (wired and wifi) on 2 different computers, hub in non modem mode and in modem mode,  and wired PS4 network test.

Just to simply recap. Non peak time it's fine although well below what I'm actually paying for. Peak time, I'm getting the same speeds that I used to with NTL 10 years ago.

can someone from virgin look at this for me. Send me a PM and I can repsond with my details.

from what I understand from the other forum posts, this is due to over utilisation on the virgin network. If I can't get a fix for this, then of course I will have to look at other BB providers.

thanks

Mat

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Craigh1983
Tuning in
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extremely Slow evening internet - RG22

Hi Matty,

You will be banging your head against the wall after months and months of slow speeds. Trust me you will have to wait months possibly years. My utilization issue has now been going on for over 8 months.

I have been telling people to complain to BBC's watchdog so that they can investigate and shame Virgin Media on national television. The link is https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact and it only takes 2 minutes to fill in the form. If enough of us complain then they will investigate.

Craigh

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

Thanks for posting back on the community

Sorry to hear that your still experiencing slow speeds.

I would like to check this in more detail for you, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (red envelope icon, left corner) with some details for you to confirm please. 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MC_Hammer
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Look here and join the wave to record your BB speed to help Virgin locate problem areas:

http://www.speedtest.net/wave/2235cdb1a3be6d35?o=asc&sb=download

0 Kudos
mattyduk
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've replied to Samantha

i guess it will be that their network can't handle the number of users and they aren't prepared to fix it

0 Kudos
mattyduk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Sent PM to samantha

i guess it will be usual utilisation issues which Virgin won't fix

next stop adsl. 

0 Kudos
mattyduk
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

sorry, had double posted due to the speed of my connection and people flooding this board with complaints.

anyway VM, have you had a look at my connection ?

What's the fix ?

thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for confirming your details, I appreciate it.

I've checked your connection, and I can see the local high peak time fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F003374246 and with a review date of 18th November.

I understand how frustrating this can be considering the length of time. In the meantime you can contact our Customer Care team on either 150 or 0345 454 1111 to claim a service credit.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mattyduk
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply.

I understand "review" is just that, it isn't an actual fix and these reviews can often be postponed. Will I be told what the outcome of the review is or is it just internal ?

0 Kudos
mattyduk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

rang the account service desk and they've credited my £7 a month until the 18th November, and then we're review it again.

Obviously I'd prefer to have decent broadband in the evening

thanks

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

Thanks for the reply.

Closer to the date the engineers will access the connection to see if the performance and bandwidth has improved, if so great then the fault will be closed and you will notice a difference in your speeds. If they can see that there is still an issue they will continue with additional work and the date will be reviewed again. 

If you would like to know the outcome of this, you can post again on here nearer the time and we will check it over for you, that will be fine.

Regards

Sam

0 Kudos