Menu
MrTIMarshall
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Extremely Slow Internet Speeds

Hiya Everyone!

We've had Virgin Media installed today and have the Hub 3.0, VIVID 200 Optical Fibre. We've been extremely excited and ambitious, anticipating our services switch over however all day we've been experiencing speeds on average of 20Mbps Download and 12Mbps Upload speed. Presumed 'things' were still being configured behind the scenes so we've been waiting however on our account we can see the following statement at the top:

Virgin-Media-Account-Status.gif

Evidently we're not even close to the "average speeds"  which we were guaranteed to receive which, being a website developer, is extremely frustrating. We've looked over why it could be so slow however with the installation being completed earlier, we would presume the engineer would've gone through all the checks.

Lastly, we tried connecting to the Virgin Media on-line chat service earlier which, upon showing an agent was available, upon clicking to chat, the window which popped up said otherwise!

Best Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
MrTIMarshall
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely Slow Internet Speeds

Bump
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello MrTIMarshall,

Sorry to hear you were experiencing slow speeds and I would like to welcome you to the community.

I have located your account and I can see you've already had a technician visit so please let me know if you're still experiencing any problems.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

MrTIMarshall
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Rose,

The engineer said it can take up to 10 days for everything to be configured correctly. We're still having a hiccup here and there with low speeds however on average using our WiFi 40-50Mbps upload and 10Mbps download. Looking at an ethernet through mains extension.

TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Pass Through Powerline Adapter Starter Kit
- http://amzn.to/2gT1b2g

Looking at purchasing the above for our two computers rated #1 on pcadvisor.co.uk unless you would have any other suggestions?

Best Regards,
Tim
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Tim,

Hope you're well Smiley Happy

How has your connection been since your last post? Has your connection settled down?

Power line adapters are a good way forward to extend and secure connections, I use two sets of power lines on my home set-up.

Let me know if you need me to test or check anything for you.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MrTIMarshall
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dec-12-2016.pngUpon seeing an e-mail notification of your reply, I have just taken the above speed test. Our computers must be less than 12ft away from our router which is positioned on our fire surround and our computers in the room above next to the same chimney breast.

Best Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Tim

I am sorry you are having problems with slow speeds. I notice that you posted at 8:44 pm so I had a look at the area traffic for that period, it was high so it may have played a part in the slow speeds, always difficult to be sure when measuring over wireless. Is the wireless faster at other times of the day? Anyway the evening area peak time traffic over the week is now exceeding our threshold so I have raised a case to our planning team for further investigation. The reference is F004962762 and currently has a review date of 03 JAN 2017 although this will most likely change once we have had a chance to have a better look and assess the work involved. Please accept our apologies and if you would be kind enough to wait a few days one of the forum team will be in contact to discuss further.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos