Menu
mattbray
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Extreme Broadband Slowdown

Hello

I am having some very serious trouble with virgin broadband (VIVID 200), service will be normal until around 7pm after which speeds drop to around 10mbps down & 600kbps up I understand that peak hours have an effect on performance but a 95% reduction seems a little harsh. 

Severe latency problems also occur as you can see from this trace (can be up to 3000ms at times)trace1.PNG

The slowdown typically occurs after some uploading (around 1-2hrs worth - I am the sole uploader) but at a maximum of 3000 kbps which should not be enough to trigger traffic management in accordance to the vivid 200 threshold as described here : https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

This will typically persist for around 3-5 hours before returning to normal and has been occuring for ~3 months but has become significantly more frequent over the past month to the point where it is nearly daily!

[EDIT] Additionally running the diagnostic test from my virgin media account says there are no problems with the equipment.

What's happening here?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extreme Broadband Slowdown

Hi Mattbray,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds and latency. I've just checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Looking at the traceroute the 2nd hop is where the latency begins so this won't be down to your equipment but rather something between your hub and the local network. 

Could you try the hub in modem mode and run another trace to see if this returns to normal?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
mattbray
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I contacted customer support and they claimed traffic management was being applied. Instead running around in circles I just upgraded to the VIVID200 GAMER package which is not subject to traffic management which has now solved the issue. 

Still it does strike me as odd that traffic management would be applied when I don't upload nearly the threshold for the VIVID200 (2250MB/hr for one hour or 3000MB/2hr for longer sessions - I can prove I was not near these levels). What's more entertaining is that on the day I called customer service to inquire about the issue nobody was even using the internet to download anything let alone upload (they cited the time of traffic management starting to have been before I was even awake). In addition to this how can it be that instead of the 50-66% reduction in speed (as detailed in the thresholds page) I had my speeds reduced by around 95%.

The customer support representative I talked to also said that the throttling would stop after about an hour, it in fact took around 12 hours on that particular day to return to normal. I can't help but think that the traffic management policy is not always applied correctly.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey mattbray,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Really sorry to hear about the problems with your speed, it sounds like there's been a problem with the traffic management triggers.

If you notice any further speed reductions please drop me a direct PM so I can investigate further.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos