Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3 (90 Views)

Extending wired router connection

I am currently experiencing poor wireless connection speeds, I have the new na router and subscribe to the 200mb speed. I am considering hard wiring a cat 6 cable into the back of the router extending the cable through the external wall and outside, up the face of my building, into the roof space and finally dropping down into the first floor study, that way I will have a hardwired connection back to my Virgin Media router.

Question's: Has anyone undertaken this? Is it successful? What type of cable did you use?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 3 (77 Views)

Re: Extending wired router connection

Have you considered powerline adapters?  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables or drilling through walls.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some provide just wired connections and others come with additional wireless built in to allow you to create a wireless access point in parts of the house where the wireless signal is poor.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 3 (29 Views)

Re: Extending wired router connection

Hi there, I'm interested in any replies you get as I have just had Cat6 cable run from Front room (where router is) to the back of the house. Just waiting for electrician to put boxes on each end of cable. I have two questions, how should I connect to router and what do I connect to other end. I hope this makes sense. Cheers. Steve

0 Kudos