Menu
Smas001
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Expected Broadband Speed

Hi,

I pay for 150Mb fibre broadband.  I have a superhub2 router.  I predominantly use a wifi connection on my laptop.

After numerous wired and wireless 'Speedtest.net' speed checks at various times of the day over a period of 2 months I am consistently getting speeds much lower than the 150Mb I pay for.

I understand speed may change due to demand on the network and the method of connection will affect what speeds I receive, but on average I am getting the following speeds:

Wired connection - Max 70Mb download ; Wifi - Max 40Mb download.

Why am I receiving, at maximum, less than 50% of the speed for which I am paying?

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Expected Broadband Speed

Are you sure that the devices you are using to test are capable of higher speeds?  Some wireless devices are limited by their hardware to around 40-50Mbps.

For a wired connection, speeds below 100Mbps per second as you describe are often the result of a hardware limitation. Some PC's have network cards that are limited to 100Mbps (which after overheads gives speeds below 100), or faulty drivers that can limit speed or are not configured correctly, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limited to 100Mbs by design or is damaged. If the wired connection from the hub to your laptop is showing an orange light on the Ethernet port of your network card, then the hub might only be negotiating a 100Mbs connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With a 100Mbit network card the most you will get is 90mbps in my exp.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, Google says that is a Fast Ethernet card that is indeed limited to 100Mbps max but will deliver less in the real world.  To get your full 150Mbps you will need something with a gigabit Ethernet card.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you sure that the devices you are using to test are capable of higher speeds?  Some wireless devices are limited by their hardware to around 40-50Mbps.

For a wired connection, speeds below 100Mbps per second as you describe are often the result of a hardware limitation. Some PC's have network cards that are limited to 100Mbps (which after overheads gives speeds below 100), or faulty drivers that can limit speed or are not configured correctly, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limited to 100Mbs by design or is damaged. If the wired connection from the hub to your laptop is showing an orange light on the Ethernet port of your network card, then the hub might only be negotiating a 100Mbs connection.

Smas001
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the swift reply.  I don't appear to get the orange light but looking at my network card (Marvell Yukon 88E8040) I think you may be right that the card is limited to 100. Ah well maybe an excuse for some new hardware!

Cheers

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With a 100Mbit network card the most you will get is 90mbps in my exp.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, Google says that is a Fast Ethernet card that is indeed limited to 100Mbps max but will deliver less in the real world.  To get your full 150Mbps you will need something with a gigabit Ethernet card.