Menu
toner
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Evening speed very slow. Area 21

Daytime speed is fine, close to the expected 50mb. Evenings shocking 2-3 mbs. Been like this for a few weeks now. Virgin please take a look and sort out.

0 Kudos
toner
Joining in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Evening speed very slow. Area 21

Finally spoke to someone at VM who told me this is a known issue with peak time contention and equipment should be upgraded by end Dec. Not ideal but I can live with that. What is really annoying is the fact that it's taken me 3 days to get to an explanation. Everything on the VM site says all is OK, no service issues. I wasted over half hour with the first tech support person who didn't mention the issue and no response on this forum. Simple message on the service status page would have saved me a lot of wasted time or even better a proactive email to say there are issues. Very poor all round VM.

0 Kudos
toner
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

End of December come and gone and things are actually worse. Just measured at 2mbs. What's the story VM? Would appreciate a response.

0 Kudos
EdBeesley
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If they told you end of Dec they were fobbing you off because they told me and a couple of other people on here it'll be reviewed in February. If you look at the history in this forum though in all likelihood nothing will be sorted by February and we'll be repeatedly fobbed off with more review dates. Best solution is to ditch Virgin entirely and go with BT who are slightly slower but far more reliable (I spent a couple of years on Infinity 2 in two different SE areas and not once had any sort of slowdown or problems with the line). If they won't let you break contract tell them you're not getting the service you paid for and they should let you off. If they still put up a fight then go to CISAS who'll almost certainly adjudicate in your favour. Make sure you have a record of your bandwidth tests to help your case. Good luck!
gummyle10
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i was told my broadband would be sorted out by aug when I reported it in june then told dec now being told march 2017 I have the 200mb only get 13mb on a good day

0 Kudos
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Same here, Area 21 SW18.

Daytime speed OK, evening is down to 1 - 2 Mbps. 3 Mbps on a good day.

This is definitely a contention issue, during Christmas period (starting the 22nd December until 1st Jan) the evening speed is just as good as day speed. Today (2nd Jan) people are back from their holiday is down to 1 Mbps.

I was told review date to be 21st December and now pushed back to March 2017. Yeah I totally expecting that closer to that date, the review date will be extended again. Note that VM said this is a "review" date, they never mentioned that it will actually be fixed sometime.

Either you leave now, or wait until enough people leave Area 21 to get the speed back up. I have a few things on in the beginning of the year and will most likely exit around March 2017.

See the following articles:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4052598/Virgin-Media-internet-blackouts-hit-UK-Custom...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/virgin-media-blackout-customers-warned-9489868

You decide for yourself if it will actually get fixed soon. I've given up that VM will actually fix this and preparing to leave.

0 Kudos
juhaI
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Same area, same postcode, same slow internet. My fault code is F003803786 and they just gave me 29 March 2017, a 3 month push from previous. Zero trust on that date, since Google finds first reference to this fault code in October 2015. I am out of contract so easy to leave. Nothing can be worse than the current service so I am leaving this week, to BT most likely. After I am gone, you can have my 1.6Mbps during peak-time Smiley Wink

P.S. I already made a decision to move to BT in November but they actually said they don't have enough capacity to take me then. Since mid December they are again ready to take me. If I check on Virgin website what they offer to me now, it's 200Mbps, which I know can't be achieved.

Good luck with your decision. Juha

P.P.S. Just saw your edit and I can confirm the same. I already thought they had actually fixed the problem since Christmas time was so much better.

0 Kudos
baverstockc
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Same issue here, SW12. Normal connection in day, 5-6mb in evening, preventing streaming in a lot of cases. 100mb line supposed to be.

Whats the best thing to do here? I'm in the unfortunate situation where the flats im in dont have phone lines so we're stuck with Virgin - shall I ring them and see if I can get anything?

Thanks for any advice!

0 Kudos
Omoro
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am in Area 21, also having very bad latency & download/upload speed issues.

I was advised that there had been an 'issue with a cable' in the area over the last two weeks and that this would be resolved by the end of week. However, I made a second call and I was told that 'due to high usage [all of a sudden], there was a review to resolve this at some point, who knows when'. - So, which one is it?!

Reading your message above is very troubling. I will NOT be waiting three months to have this resolved. The connection is unusable, it's worse that ADSL1 back in New Zealand.
0 Kudos
th3wu
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

There's another thread here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-issues-area-21/m-p/3297291/highlight/true#M142567 on speed issues in area 21.

I phoned again yesterday and was told it would be 'fixed' by Jan 10th. Reading this thread, it seems that it might not be the case.

0 Kudos