Menu
Szymans1
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Evening Speed/Ping Issues

Hi,

I have been having issues with my speeds and ping for a long time. Every evening, I find that my ping and speeds are significantly worse than during the day. I've tried to contact the agents through the Virgin 'Contact Us' page, but the system is useless, and the agents are ALWAYS busy. Most frustrating yet, is the fact that I cannot perform the most basic tasks such as streaming videos or playing video games, without having in-game pings in excess of 300, something that is totally unacceptable. I've read several forum posts, and tried all of the possible fixes, but to no avail. I'm sick of this, and need help. Any tips are much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Evening Speed/Ping Issues

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date, even though phone support staff often refer to it as a fix date. Some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Evening Speed/Ping Issues

Hi Szymans1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow speeds/high pings during the evenings.

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004362248 and has a review date of 29th March.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos